• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help needed from experienced bikers....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Don't bother with the comfy/padded shorts if you're just starting out, as the good ones cost at least £100, and the cheap ones will chafe the insides of your thighs to bits and be ripped off the first time you fall."

Errrrrrrr... in a word - rubbish!

These look like a good buy http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11750 but if you search a bit there might be something else that looks like good bang for buck.

That site is also free postage.

You'll need some gloves too, I just got some cannondale ones from there around the 18quid mark and they're smashing.
    I wear light board shorts without liners over the top if I don't plan on falling off. Stronger cotton shorts if an off looks more likely

Comment

Looks like this thread'll soon descend into a roadie vs MTB slag fest.

Those shorts won't last more than a couple of rides through the woods.

You're best off not bot bothering and save the money.

The best protection is not to fall off. Try practising driving round in figure 8s setting off on either foot (without kicking off, i.e. just lift your foot, then pedal) in either direction.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        The best protection is not to fall off.
        Wise words. If this is your first time off road, don't let more experienced rider's skills tempt you into letting go of your brakes on a rough rocky downhill..better to go steady / controlled and build your confidence over a number of rides. Over the years I've been lucky enough to never have a serious off but I've come close a couple of times and seen a couple of unfortunate casualty cases, my brother-in-law included when he snapped his bike in half (and most of his body) against a tree that was in the wrong place.

Make sure your bike is up to it - it doesn't have to cost the earth but you will definitely need brakes you can rely on, knobblies and toe clips for your pedals if you don't have clip in shoes.
        Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Experienced 'Cyclists' you mean.

I got all excited then expecting a lively debate about the merits of a V-twin vs IL4!

Bloody lycra fairies.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            Experienced 'Cyclists' you mean.

I got all excited then expecting a lively debate about the merits of a V-twin vs IL4!

Bloody lycra fairies.
            You have no idea of the images that creates in my head
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I buy of my kit from www.wiggle.co.uk these days. The DHB stuff is pretty good value.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've every admiration for off-road cyclists, because they are not using the road which the rest of us vehicle drivers pay for. So kudos to them for being fair.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  I've every admiration for off-road cyclists, because they are not using the road which the rest of us vehicle drivers pay for. So kudos to them for being fair.
                  Seeing as the average cyclist owns more cars than the average car driver, then one could say they've already paid more than you, and using your logic are therefore entitled to more of it...
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Plus how much wear & tear does a 10 kg bike do to your precious road versus a car or truck?

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
                      Plus how much wear & tear does a 10 kg bike do to your precious road versus a car or truck?
                      Probably the same amount of wear and tear that a truck suffers when it mows you b@stards down

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X