• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stop being so darned pessimistic"

Collapse

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its difficult to be positive when your friends are hitting the dole queue but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Plan C is going OK so far.

The tragedy is that the people that will suffer will be the honourable but not superbright. The ones that will profit will be mainly the dishonourable. Some clever but honourable will do OK.
    disagree with the last bit - its the wise and street smart that will make it out of this with flying colours.

As a contractor [and lets say you have been doing it for over 5 years] I fail to see how anyone can NOT have a fund to see them through at least 12 months! If you havent - than something isnt right

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Really?
    I've got loads of cash, but every plan B/Business venture I've tried has failed miserably (luckily <£1K lost), so I don't trust myself to invest larger sums
    then they havent been the right ones [obviously].

If you lost 1k then they cant have been big? You obv need a plan and cant expect to make money in the first month unless it is very niche and your one lucky mofo

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    yeah : they are the former billionaires!

okay : you are right : they are opportunities in recession for a few. but the majority will be worse off.

Its a question of spotiing the opportunity and the bottom of the market.
    BP - I disagree.

The difference here is how you see things. There are MORE opps in a recession than any other period - history has shown us this.

But yes, you need to spot them and align yourself to take advantage.

Majority are worse off as they let themselves be. It's a cultural thing I am afraid. The mentality of living on a month by month basis on your pay packed?! I mean WTF?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

okay : you are right : they are opportunities in recession for a few. but the majority will be worse off.

Yeah, I hear debt collection will be the new boom industry

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    As much as Mandy may be clueless - on this occasion he himself probably doesnt realise that what he is saying IS actually true

There are IMMENSE opps in the current market if you have hard cash or can raise it.

Majority of new millionaires will actually be created from this Recession - ironic or not.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    There are IMMENSE opps in the current market if you have hard cash or can raise it.
    Really?
    I've got loads of cash, but every plan B/Business venture I've tried has failed miserably (luckily <£1K lost), so I don't trust myself to invest larger sums

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    .. It's all about how you look at it. If you was to be an outside and read this board - youd think the best way out would be a .44 after a bottle of rum - but right now is the time to make and align yourself. ..
    Nah, rum rots your teeth - too much sugar.

A .44 after a bottle of brandy would be healthier.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Unfortunately

Its difficult to be positive when your friends are hitting the dole queue but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Plan C is going OK so far.

The tragedy is that the people that will suffer will be the honourable but not superbright. The ones that will profit will be mainly the dishonourable. Some clever but honourable will do OK.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    LOL Very good,

But yep - I mean "normal" people.

I know of 2 close friends who are actually doing VERY well in their businesses and are looking to expand very soon - one is food based and another Valet. [I am talking netting 7k+ a week]. Another contractor who I have known for many years has a Amazon site selling electrical goods and last month his £200k in TO and whilst they work on smaller margins - he is making a comfortable net profit a week with 4 employees.

It's all about how you look at it. If you was to be an outside and read this board - youd think the best way out would be a .44 after a bottle of rum - but right now is the time to make and align yourself.

Opps are out there - the difference is that the half way house contractor mentality that many have arent the ones that will get anywhere - theyll still be "thinking" they run there own businesses lol.

Good stuff liability. It is good to hear a positive post for once.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    FFS Mandelson

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Names so far include:

Hoon, Blair, Brown and Mandelson
    LOL Very good,

But yep - I mean "normal" people.

I know of 2 close friends who are actually doing VERY well in their businesses and are looking to expand very soon - one is food based and another Valet. [I am talking netting 7k+ a week]. Another contractor who I have known for many years has a Amazon site selling electrical goods and last month his £200k in TO and whilst they work on smaller margins - he is making a comfortable net profit a week with 4 employees.

It's all about how you look at it. If you was to be an outside and read this board - youd think the best way out would be a .44 after a bottle of rum - but right now is the time to make and align yourself.

Opps are out there - the difference is that the half way house contractor mentality that many have arent the ones that will get anywhere - theyll still be "thinking" they run there own businesses lol.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    As much as Mandy may be clueless - on this occasion he himself probably doesnt realise that what he is saying IS actually true

Majority of new millionaires will actually be created from this Recession - ironic or not.

Names so far include:

Hoon, Blair, Brown and Mandelson

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Word has it (horses mouth that is) that him and his cronies are all over the banks, yet they have not the slightest understanding of how business works. So HSBC who are not owned by the govt are sweeping up the over £30k clients and the rest are being forced to to concentrate their business on the poor (permie IT ers ).

this is distorting the markets and they are doing it for no other reason than to win votes. It is frightening that these people are entrusted with so much power.

There is another one going in to politics at 22 Ian Gould's daughter. You can just imagine her running the dept of trade Industry, or anything for that matter.
    Phillip

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Who's Ian Gould? And who is his daughter?
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ter/article.do

another minger for NL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X