• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IT for dummies

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT for dummies"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    An interface allows a transfer from one system to another.

With permission, a man inserts knob into woman's **** and there is a transfer of jiz.

(Protocol is how the man convinces the woman to let him do it.)
    you make it sound SO romantic

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    An interface allows a transfer from one system to another.

With permission, a man inserts knob into woman's **** and there is a transfer of jiz.

(Protocol is how the man convinces the woman to let him do it.)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post

No, she's really a bird, honest, about 12 of the CUKers can testify as such, unless 'she' sent a girlfriend along to the xmas bash to keep up the facade.
    Even Marina wouldn't go to those lengths

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Most of those written here are better than what I blubbered out at the time, which involved abstract classes and unimplemented methods
    I bet it sounded really clever though, in an OO kind of way.
    Sounds like it - probably just the answer they were looking for.

Don't worry Timberwolf, that contract is in the bag

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I too found Feynman to be an inspirational character and have read his books. I would like to see the Horizon programme about him again.

An interface converts signals understood by one device into signals understood by a different device. See that TV remote .....

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    I knew you weren't really a bird.

No, she's really a bird, honest, about 12 of the CUKers can testify as such, unless 'she' sent a girlfriend along to the xmas bash to keep up the facade.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Isn't that definition closer to a protocol?
    I knew you weren't really a bird.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Generally, an interface is the overlap where two or more systems affect each other or have links with each other.

In computing this is usually understood as either linkages between computers and other devices, or between computers and people.

More specifically, 'user interface' is commonly understood to be a program that provides a graphical display for the user, that allows the user to interact with the system, indirectly using other types of (mechanical) interfaces such as a 'mouse', or 'keyboard'.

It's so tempting to go into more detail, as I love human-computer-interaction theory and history. Carving through some good books on the topic now.
    Last edited by realityhack; 17 April 2009, 12:13. Reason: tidying

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    An interface is a contract stating what information systems may communicate with each other.
    Isn't that definition closer to a protocol?

Just a thought....

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Most of those written here are better than what I blubbered out at the time, which involved abstract classes and unimplemented methods
    I bet it sounded really clever though, in an OO kind of way.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    This is the closest anyone got, so surely this one is the winner.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    An interface is like a rosetta stone.
    Lost me already

Next.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    An interface is a contract stating what information systems may communicate with each other.
    This is the closest anyone got, so surely this one is the winner.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    It's a thingummyjig that contract testers love because everytime one of the apps using an interface is modified you can charge the client a tulipload of money for regression testing it.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The late great Richard Feynman once wrote that if something can't be explained in simple terms, it isn't understood. Well that's not quite what he said it, but that's the gist of it.
    I've got a few of his books: 'Six Easy Pieces', 'Six Not-So-Easy Pieces' & 'Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!'

Nobel Prize-winning physicist, prankster, juggler, painter, bongo player, safecracker, solver of the Challenger disaster... what a guy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X