• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How many going perm?"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    There's more than one company that I know who are doing pretty well and would normally be taking on contractors on fair rates. Instead they are recruiting staff as well as actively replacing contractors with staff jobs. It's really poo out there.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    I have for now accepted that permiedom might be a possibility and with great reluctance changed my jobserve filters from "contract" to "any".

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I've started applying for permie stuff. The testing market's dead on its arse and although I think the warchest will last me another 9 months I'd rather not be in a situation where I'm worrying about it running out.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    My current client are looking for a load of permies at the minute, but they just can't find any!!

There's no I.T. recession up in the North East it seems.
    Who's that? Are they looking for cisco dudes?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Interesting but it would highlight my case to the tax man, I think I'd rather stay off the radar and risk it seeing as it has now been 15 months.

I would do exactly the same in your case and if they did investigate you it appears that you would be on pretty safe ground anyway.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    It appears that your accountant can get clearance for the 24 month rule to restart. Read :

http://www.contractoruk.com/guides/24_month_rule.html

Interesting but it would highlight my case to the tax man, I think I'd rather stay off the radar and risk it seeing as it has now been 15 months.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Never give in!

Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

W. Churchill October 29, 1941

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I worked at another site about 10 miles from the last so strictly speaking I shouldn't have claimed there I guess? HMRC aren't clear enough on the issue so flip em'.

It appears that your accountant can get clearance for the 24 month rule to restart. Read :

http://www.contractoruk.com/guides/24_month_rule.html

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    I am too old for a perm job and I have always contracted so its not an option
    for people like me.
    In 1975 someone told me to take a perm job and settle down. Too late now.

Some places are willing to take older guys. I had a call yesterday from an agent about a position that they were obviously desperate to fill and tried all sorts of persuasive tactics, but as I am taking a pension in June I will only consider contract from thereon.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    As you have not worked there for 12 months I think it is possible to claim again for 24 months, as long as you have not worked in that vicinity for another company recently.
    I worked at another site about 10 miles from the last so strictly speaking I shouldn't have claimed there I guess? HMRC aren't clear enough on the issue so feck em'.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    How many here are getting bored of the bench and going / interviewing / looking for perm jobs ? Just curious to know really.
    I am too old for a perm job and I have always contracted so its not an option
    for people like me.
    In 1975 someone told me to take a perm job and settle down. Too late now.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Not sure yet, I may do it as it's a POP and it's better than nothing.

The other downside is I spent 3 years there before so I can't claim travel... I might just risk it though.

As you have not worked there for 12 months I think it is possible to claim again for 24 months, as long as you have not worked in that vicinity for another company recently.

Leave a comment:

• DocP
    replied
    Been benched for 4 wks now. Contract market is awful. Rates are right down.
    Fed up talking to agents.

Just finished 4th interview for perm role. Which I'd be happy to take.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    My current client are looking for a load of permies at the minute, but they just can't find any!!

There's no I.T. recession up in the North East it seems.
    Is it oracle devs they're looking for? I've seen that ad.. Need any Java bods? Feel free to PM me the details if so

With Sage offering voluntary redundancy, and BA, the market should be full of people looking..?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    How long for?
    Not sure yet, I may do it as it's a POP and it's better than nothing.

The other downside is I spent 3 years there before so I can't claim travel... I might just risk it though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X