• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "In the interests of fairness songs of praise should be replaced by"

Collapse

• Not So Wise
    replied
    My personal feeling is, if any religious programming is going to be paid by the TV tax then all forms of religion should be covered. Otherwise none should done. I should not be paying to promote one beleif above others, especially when i beleive in none of them

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Originally posted by wc2
    While we are on the subject of GOD on TV

Chico what are your views on these GOD chanels etc

You know the ones...

GOD loves you praise the lord send us $50 dollars today - I'll tell GOD how good you've been and book you place with little baby jesus

I wish they would show a lot more of the Alpha talks and classic Billy Graham crusades and more live Gospel concerts from the States. Actually while we are on the subject they could repeat the Just 10 - J John talks from last year in which included the biggest ever Alpha supper (2000 people - imagine the catering demands). Finally they could also televise the quarterly Festival of Life prayer session which is held at Excel Centre, Docklands for about 25,000 people. If they did that - well I would watch a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by Chico
    I thought 99.99% of the BBC's output was geared towards the atheist, left leaning namby-bamby, God-hating, binge-drinking, anti-marriage, hatred of all things British (heritage and history) mob..!!!
    What, the BBC pumps out hours of religious propoganda, Christmas, Easter every Sunday, that old duffer from Canterbury, every state occasion. The BBC is syruptitiously introducing religion into nearly every genre - take the Monastery. Big Brother in habits, they hum, they pray, they hum, they pray. And then they ask for more license fee ? Do me a favor guvnor ...

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    While we are on the subject of GOD on TV

Chico what are your views on these GOD chanels etc

You know the ones...

GOD loves you praise the lord send us $50 dollars today - I'll tell GOD how good you've been and book you place with little baby jesus

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    I thought 99.99% of the BBC's output was geared towards the atheist, left leaning namby-bamby, God-hating, binge-drinking, anti-marriage, hatred of all things British (heritage and history) mob..!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Where are the atheist programmes on the BBC ? I'm not talking about dumbed down science with jollies. I mean programming explicitly supporting devil worshippers, pagans, witches, spiritualists and humanists. Why can't they have a sing-song too - they pay their fees ...

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Xog not my faith by any means.

bagpuss my fav is

And can it be that I should gain
    An interest in the Savior’s blood?
    Died He for me, who caused His pain—
    For me, who Him to death pursued?
    Amazing love! How can it be,
    That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
    Amazing love! How can it be,
    That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

’Tis mystery all: th’Immortal dies:
    Who can explore His strange design?
    In vain the firstborn seraph tries
    To sound the depths of love divine.
    ’Tis mercy all! Let earth adore,
    Let angel minds inquire no more.
    ’Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
    Let angel minds inquire no more.

He left His Father’s throne above
    So free, so infinite His grace—
    Emptied Himself of all but love,
    And bled for Adam’s helpless race:
    ’Tis mercy all, immense and free,
    For O my God, it found out me!
    ’Tis mercy all, immense and free,
    For O my God, it found out me!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
    Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
    Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
    I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
    My chains fell off, my heart was free,
    I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
    My chains fell off, my heart was free,
    I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

Still the small inward voice I hear,
    That whispers all my sins forgiven;
    Still the atoning blood is near,
    That quenched the wrath of hostile Heaven.
    I feel the life His wounds impart;
    I feel the Savior in my heart.
    I feel the life His wounds impart;
    I feel the Savior in my heart.

No condemnation now I dread;
    Jesus, and all in Him, is mine;
    Alive in Him, my living Head,
    And clothed in righteousness divine,
    Bold I approach th’eternal throne,
    And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
    Bold I approach th’eternal throne,
    And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

Charles Wesley

Top tune!!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Vibrant and relevant to youth indeed!!! If a religion isn't tedious and miserable it isn't a proper religion at all in my view.

And I will bet that these days everyone is telling all these "religious" youth that they will get into heaven just by being good in some typically modern vague airy fairy sort of way. HELL NO! they should be starving themselves to death, continually flaggelating themselves with big knotted bits of barbed wire, sitting on top of poles for 30 years, and having "YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY" yelled in their ears 24/7.

That's proper religion that is!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Chico is your fav hymn

Onward christain solidiers?

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
    With the cross of Jesus going on before.
    Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
    Forward into battle see His banners go!

Refrain

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
    With the cross of Jesus going on before.

At the sign of triumph Satan’s host doth flee;
    On then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
    Hell’s foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
    Brothers lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.

Refrain

Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
    Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
    We are not divided, all one body we,
    One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.

Refrain

What the saints established that I hold for true.
    What the saints believèd, that I believe too.
    Long as earth endureth, men the faith will hold,
    Kingdoms, nations, empires, in destruction rolled.

Refrain

Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,
    But the church of Jesus constant will remain.
    Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail;
    We have Christ’s own promise, and that cannot fail.

Refrain

Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,
    Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
    Glory, laud and honor unto Christ the King,
    This through countless ages men and angels sing

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Well some Songs of Praise episodes work though-e.g. the Hillsong one a few weeks ago in the fun fair. I know it is a broad church and needs to take into account different styles etc but it should be more vibrant and relevant to the youth and young families who are currently disenfranchised.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Hey milan... do not mess with Songs of Praise!!! It is one of the last Christian broadcasts on primetime mainstream channels.ITV no longer do religious broadcasting and the only serious religious broadcasts are always based on the so called Christian right in the US and how they plan to to take over the world (blah blah blah). Do not mess with Songs of Praise!!!
    Songs of Praise is too happy-clappy for my taste.

How about Choral Evensong on Radio 3 (on Wednesdays at 4:00pm I think)?

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    the only serious religious broadcasts are always based on the so called Christian right in the US and how they plan to to take over the world
    I'm surprised you aren't fully in support of this.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Scanned channels into my free to air digital receiver last week.

Now have a fine selection of channels aimed at asian & middle eastern people of varying beliefs.

None of which are of interest to me.

And that's on Astra at 28E.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Hey milan... do not mess with Songs of Praise!!! It is one of the last Christian broadcasts on primetime mainstream channels.ITV no longer do religious broadcasting and the only serious religious broadcasts are always based on the so called Christian right in the US and how they plan to to take over the world (blah blah blah). Do not mess with Songs of Praise!!!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    In Denmark the dish required is about 60 cm. I actually use a much bigger one, but there again I can also get Malaysian TV. Don't know why they'd be transmitting Malay TV onto that footprint, but hey it ain't my satellite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X