• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interview tomorrow

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview tomorrow"

Collapse

• GardenGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    If I do get it, and it does get painful I may have to become diesel Mondeo man
    Or you could go sick like the rest of the Permies would!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    It was postponed again, then the vacancy mysteriously disappeared.

Anyone need a tester?
    I was talking to an agent about a role and he said he posted a web testing contract at 12.00 by 2.30 he had 400 CV in his in box. He said the rate was really bad, in fact so bad he was embarrassed to put it on the role.

Asked if he was worried about filling the role, "No someone will take it"

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    It was postponed again, then the vacancy mysteriously disappeared.

All I've had since are fishing calls, except for today when I spoke to an agent about another permie gig. When I told him my last rate he told me they were offering half what I was previously one and wouldn't be putting me forward because I'd just leave once I found a new contract.

Anyone need a tester?

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    C'mon Stu, update us.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    It's been postponed til later in the week. Grrr
    So they are interviewing other more suitable (less contractory) candidates first?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    It's been postponed til later in the week. Grrr

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    How'd it go Stu?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
    So what did you say when the interview panel asked why you want to move back to permiedom and will you leg it once the market picks up?
    Two questions here.

Firstly play down the "move to permiedom" bit with: "I am a developer/BA/DBA and I have always looked for the opportunity to work on good projects with interesting people... many of my contracts have been long term assignments... on the ground what concerns me is the project, not the specific working arrangements..."

Secondly you should spin the question of leaving when things bounce back to something that suggests: "if this job is as good as you say it is then why would I want to leave?!".

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    We do what we have to do - good luck, hope it all goes how you want it to

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    So what did you say when the interview panel asked why you want to move back to permiedom and will you leg it once the market picks up?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    There's a reason they became so popular that "Mondeo Man" became a catchphrase in motoring journalism. They were the Ronseal of the car world. They did exactly what they claimed to do and did it well. You could do a lot worse that a late model Mk3 ( 2005-2007 ) as a cheap commuter ride.
    Which is exactly what I have done and I don't regret it one little bit.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Oy, I've got a diesel Mondeo!!!!!

To be honest it's thoroughly comfortable to drive long distances, not insane to insure, has plenty of poke (2.0 TDCI), is pretty frugal on fuel (50+ MPG on a run) and can carry loads of junk or 4 passengers. It's not the most exciting car on the planet, but it does exactly what I want from a car. Admittedly I've never really seen a car as a status symbol so while I could afford something flashier I don't see the point.

Best of luck on the interview.
    There's a reason they became so popular that "Mondeo Man" became a catchphrase in motoring journalism. They were the Ronseal of the car world. They did exactly what they claimed to do and did it well. You could do a lot worse that a late model Mk3 ( 2005-2007 ) as a cheap commuter ride.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianSnail View Post
    Are you talking about the diesel Mondeo or a permie job?

Both.

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Quite often, the things one dreads the most turn out to be, if not blessings in disguise, at least not as bad as they initially seemed.
    Are you talking about the diesel Mondeo or a permie job?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Quite often, the things one dreads the most turn out to be, if not blessings in disguise, at least not as bad as they initially seemed.
    Funnily enough, I agree with that.

I felt depressed at going permie, that somehow I'd failed. Fact is it's the most enjoyable job I've had in years, I'm learning heaps of new sh!t and I figure I'll be back on the market, with more skills as soon as things look like picking up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X