• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Student Visas

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Student Visas"

Collapse

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    the only good thing out of this is that they took fingerprints and probably other info so that those suspects won't get visas into any western country.
    Dude, they are not convicted yet and I think according to Human Rights regulations, No country can stop any legal person without conviction or criminal history.

We should get some lessons otherwise we'll end up with more Charles de Menezes case.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Its shambolic as these chaps havnt been convicted, have no criminal records against them, have paid huge fees and yet facing a deportation.

No wonder why Lawyer and Government saying this.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    the only good thing out of this is that they took fingerprints and probably other info so that those suspects won't get visas into any western country.
    How so? They were released without conviction.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Exactly, but I didn't want to upset peoples breakfasts by bringing up that image to their minds eye.
    You mean this? (SFW but NSFYE)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Well, I appear to have been proved right. The guy didn't really resign, but is still getting a monstrous pay-off, and all those arrested have now been released without charge.
    Well, he'd get pay off from Govt anyway or he'll get it from papers, I don't think it proves anything when some civil servant gets lots of money from taxpayers.

They released those arrested because they had nothing on them that would stand in court - which is a good move on one hand (better than expensive trial that collapses) but on another its a total utter tulip up on behalf of police/MI5 - the only good thing out of this is that they took fingerprints and probably other info so that those suspects won't get visas into any western country.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Matrix Chambers?

Anyone?
    Exactly, but I didn't want to upset peoples breakfasts by bringing up that image to their minds eye.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Oh the naïvety of the young...

There will now be a protracted battle, which will enrich the Human Rights lawyers to the tune of numerous lengthy sunny holidays, where they will appeal this deportation.
    Matrix Chambers?

Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    11 out of 12 of those can now be deported at the whim of the Home Secretary, which will not require an expensive trial, or any evidence, thereby saving the country those pesky costs, which after yesterday it probably cannot afford.

Do "Fair Trials Abroad" look at the cases of foreign nationals in the UK?
    Oh the naïvety of the young...

There will now be a protracted battle, which will enrich the Human Rights lawyers to the tune of numerous lengthy sunny holidays, where they will appeal this deportation.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Well, I appear to have been proved right. The guy didn't really resign, but is still getting a monstrous pay-off, and all those arrested have now been released without charge.

So it would appear the whole thing was really a charade after all.
    11 out of 12 of those can now be deported at the whim of the Home Secretary, which will not require an expensive trial, or any evidence, thereby saving the country those pesky costs, which after yesterday it probably cannot afford.

Do "Fair Trials Abroad" look at the cases of foreign nationals in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I don't think that guy who had to resign for it would have done it to save police - I am pretty sure saving his job would have been his top priority: when there is a choice between clever conspiracy and stupidity I'd go for the latter to explain situation...

So it would appear the whole thing was really a charade after all.

Leave a comment:

• IH33
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It all depends on the culture of a particular immigrant community. The Vietnamese kids will work hard whatever their environment and in the future will provide the UK's doctors and scientists.
    In the equivalent Somalian area, the kids will provide the future gangsters.

That isn't racist, although it may be "culturalist".
    I don't agree, and this is from first hand experience. Unfortunately my sister ended up marrying a 2nd generation Vietnamese man living in the area. He and his extended family are complete bums, living off the government, not working etc. I also know a lot of younger Viets in the area doing drugs and immersing themselves into the culture of "I'm viet and proud, **** the rest etc". A little worrying and whilst some will eventually grow out of this, some won't...

Since when has Hackney been in 'SE London'?

More bolloux.
    East London then. Patronise all you will, there is a "ticking timebomb" which I am seeing first hand - perhaps if you stopped reading the Daily Mail all day, and spent time speaking to the people involved, you'd realise

The government needs to integrate all societies together and fast. None of this building Muslim schools or building ethnic only community centres. Abolish it all.

This argument could go on forever and probably will. Off for lunch now

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

More bolloux.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by IH33 View Post
    .... A good example, in the New Cross/Hackney areas of SE London, ...

More bolloux.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Bit of a laugh, but I am playing one of those massive on-line browser games. I have been getting attacked by some American group and no matter what I tried they wouldnt leave me alone.
    So I told them on Sunday that I was being attacked by Yanks from one side, and Somalians from the other side.
    They immediately stopped attacking me , and now they want
    'me to finger the Somalians, so they can open the biggest can of whup-ass on their asses'
    nice turn of phrase I thought

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by IH33 View Post
    Excellent post. I have many American friends from all ethnic backgrounds - white, black, Chinese, Indian, Arabic, hispanic etc...they're all "wooo go America, we love you etc etc" - some of the most patriotic people on earth. You only get the massive racial problems when you visit the various ethnic slums where integration is totally not encouraged.

Unfortunately in the UK, integration doesn't appear to happen, however much the government attempt to try. A good example, in the New Cross/Hackney areas of SE London, the government pushed all the Vietnamese refugees into the area. The result? A poor area of London occupied by poor, non-English speaking foreigners with, I imagine, a fairly dim view of all things British. I'm not sure how inspired their future offspring will be to embrace Britishness when they have to grow up in such a crap environment (trust me, I've been there).
    I've always wondered about that. From my experience of living there, I'd say the US (Or NYC at least) is less integrated than say London. Different races don't mix as much as you'd think - go to a bar and you'll see homogeneous groups hanging out together, but not a whole lot of mixed groups. Yet in the same breath, most Americans - of whatever ethnicity are as you say, American first.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X