• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do these attacks usually seem to happen in North England?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Probably because the weird hallucinations of a druggie mind aren't worth taking seriously.

HTH.
    Amphetamines do not cause hallucinations, if they did though...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Police ignored it even when I gave them the regi of the car.
    Probably because the weird hallucinations of a druggie mind aren't worth taking seriously.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Asians are well known to do a bit of coward violence where I live, jumping out a car and having a try at someone on their own walking back from the pub. They burnt someone alive after grabbing him off the street.

They tried it on me a 4 in the morning, 5 of them attacked me out of a car and I fought them off then ran.

Used to do a lot of boxing so knew to duck when punches come flying, they all ran at me and ended up hitting each other when I ducked.

They jumped in the car and drove onto the pavement and tried to run me over. Luckly I was fit in those days and had taken 3 grams of whiz that night.

Police ignored it even when I gave them the regi of the car.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When I was at Uni (yah?), my physics tutor (yah?) was attacked by those dastardly townies while on his way back from the local hostelry.

He turned up for the tutorial with a black eye, and explained that he'd been attacked by three guys. He got one a good hard kick in the bollocks, and believes he broke the leg of one and the arm of the third. He said if he hadn't been drunk, he may well have killed one of them - but he wouldn't have had a black eye.

Skinny, weedy guy - no more than 10 stone. University kick-boxing champion.

He had no trouble with us tutees the rest of the year... what do you call the university kick-boxing champion? "sir".
    heh heh.
    just proves on thing to me, justice must not only be done
    but it must also be done.

Many yonks ago, I was working with a marine, tough as heck and fit as anything. He went home to Liverpool on leave, and got into some aggro with a ten strong gang at Lime st.
    He hoiked his bag on his shoulder and started running.
    One by one his persuers conked out, till there were only two left. He went into a cul de sac in Bootle, and they followed him in.
    'Right, we've got you now, just givvus a minute to get ourbreff' as they bent double - wheezing

they were drinking tomato soup through a straw for the next month

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    All those attacks by locals on foreign students down south don't happen then? (I saw a news report only a couple of days ago - some lowlife attacked a Japanese student here in the Oxford area last year and now he's confined to a wheelchair back home). A poster above has pointed out there's been plenty of attacks (and not a few killings) by gangs in London. And of course you never get any Chelsea, West Ham or Millwall fans misbehaving...
    When I was at Uni (yah?), my physics tutor (yah?) was attacked by those dastardly townies while on his way back from the local hostelry.

He turned up for the tutorial with a black eye, and explained that he'd been attacked by three guys. He got one a good hard kick in the bollocks, and believes he broke the leg of one and the arm of the third. He said if he hadn't been drunk, he may well have killed one of them - but he wouldn't have had a black eye.

Skinny, weedy guy - no more than 10 stone. University kick-boxing champion.

He had no trouble with us tutees the rest of the year... what do you call the university kick-boxing champion? "sir".

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Actually there is a very good reason for this, well I have a theory, which I shall now bore you with: Danish is a Germanic language coming from the same root as Anglo Saxon. The people who invaded in 1066 spoke a language with a more Latin route. So you had the bosses, the rich, the intelligentsia all speaking French, and them that shovelled tulip etc.. spoke Anglo Saxon. The English language nowadays still shows this history with a 'high' and 'low' language, example: 'The man is in pain.' alternately 'The male patient exhibits discomfort.'

Now, for a Dane to learn English, it is much much easier to teach them corresponding low English, often using words that don't actually mean the same thing but are close enough for most purposes, i.e. 'næste'-> 'next' (actually 'næste' means the one after next, but it's close enough). This makes talking to a Dane with only school English rather amusing, makes them sound thick and uneducated.

Now the other case is also true, a Frenchie, is taught English much the same way, but here it is easier to learn 'high' English, with the corresponding result that even a French road sweeper speaking English sounds educated and sophisticated.

Blooming heck. I think he's right.

For years I have had the feeling that I am speaking 'High Scouse' whilst all my plebian mates were speaking 'Low scouse'

chuffed

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Doncaster is hardly north - go look at a map.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Actually there is a very good reason for this, well I have a theory, which I shall now bore you with: Danish is a Germanic language coming from the same root as Anglo Saxon. The people who invaded in 1066 spoke a language with a more Latin route. So you had the bosses, the rich, the intelligentsia all speaking French, and them that shovelled tulip etc.. spoke Anglo Saxon. The English language nowadays still shows this history with a 'high' and 'low' language, example: 'The man is in pain.' alternately 'The male patient exhibits discomfort.'

Now, for a Dane to learn English, it is much much easier to teach them corresponding low English, often using words that don't actually mean the same thing but are close enough for most purposes, i.e. 'næste'-> 'next' (actually 'næste' means the one after next, but it's close enough). This makes talking to a Dane with only school English rather amusing, makes them sound thick and uneducated.

Now the other case is also true, a Frenchie, is taught English much the same way, but here it is easier to learn 'high' English, with the corresponding result that even a French road sweeper speaking English sounds educated and sophisticated.
    It was a Danish girl I dated and I must say her English was exceptional. Maybe I just never listened to her much, I was 19 and never sought out clever girls at that age.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Personally I have always found Scandinavians to be a very nice but dim.

I dated one for a long time, she was as thick as mince, to be honest it was not her brain I was going out with though.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied

I dated one for a long time, she was as thick as mince, to be honest it was not her brain I was going out with though.
    Thank you! You seem like an idiot too. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Anyway I get to live in the murder capital of Europe. Very few Viking genes here, we just like to get boozed up and stab each other.

I have a French name though so I escaped this murderous DNA trait you tell us about.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I still maintain, as a personal impression over the years, that when you hear about egregiously violent cases similar to this and the Bulger incident, with indigenous scrotes as the perps, it turns out to have happened more often in North England than South.

The Viking genes theory was just a passing thought, not some bee in my bonnet (and not a troll either - curious how people immediately jump to that conclusion whenever some slightly contentious opinion is expressed).

Also, I did allude to Threaded's argument that Scandinavians don't seem more than averagely homicidal these days (although it could be argued that they are descended from the stay-at-home guys, rather than the marauders who emigrated, so there's a kind of filter at work).

But probably the best counterargument is that so many people have moved around over the last century and before that it's hard to justify explaining behaviour traits in some area (if there even are any differences) on ancestors who lived there many centuries ago.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What a completely moronic counterargument. Not like you Sasguru, must be monday.

Hint: The fact that crows are black doesn't exclude the possibility of other bird species also being black.

Sorry mate. Schoolboy error in logic.

Your argument might hold water if you show me a culture/race/country where such events do NOT occur.

PS Hope this is a troll otherwise the level of education has fallen to a truly abysmal standard.
    Last edited by sasguru; 6 April 2009, 11:57.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    IIRC the majority of the Edlington population are descended from families imported from Wales to work down t'pit.

So that kinda blows that Viking thing nonsense out of the water, what what?
    A lot of the "Welsh" mine workers were originally Irish. When the pits in Northern Wales became exhausted they moved either to the coal fields of the North West or to Yorkshire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X