• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So who thinks the G20 nations have saved the world economy?"

Collapse

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Great andyw option!

I think Armstrong will be sort of correct. Sometime over next few months will be a crash in share prices : but after that we will see recovery. I dont believe we will see riots or mass civil disobedience.

I also think we will avoid depression : I believe GDP will drop by between 6% and 9%
    I still don't know who andyW is, lol

I think if the trillions of dollars in bailouts fail and people are left destitute and homeless then there will be riots. But us British stiff upper lip types will be the last country to disobey our masters.

We've already seen riots in France and other European countries. That's probably where it will kick off first.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I have no idea, I'm an IT contractor.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Unemployment really is about 8 million, going from 1.5 to 3 is a big jump but really it is going to be a 8 to 9.5 jump.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I don't think that people have rioting in them anymore. Wednesday should have been a massive rumble, really there was only a few hundred middle class kids causing a bit of mild grief.

I suppose in the 70s politics played a big part in people's day to day life, there really was not much else to get interested in, we are too concerned now with our XBOX ranking and what is on our 500 TV channels.
    There was just an incredible media hype around the G20. But don't worry trouble is on the way. Wait until unemployment reaches the 3 million mark...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I don't think that people have rioting in them anymore. Wednesday should have been a massive rumble, really there was only a few hundred middle class kids causing a bit of mild grief.

I suppose in the 70s politics played a big part in people's day to day life, there really was not much else to get interested in, we are too concerned now with our XBOX ranking and what is on our 500 TV channels.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Chaos will descend, governments will fail and the people will take to the streets to riot.
    I don't see chaos and rioting, most people have no understanding of what's going on. If we assume all the banks are bust, what would happen? The government would step in to keep them functioning, credit would not be available, businesses that are reliant on credit will close, large number of job losses. Your typical person in the street believes in money. They will continue to exchange these bits of paper amongst one another in exchange for things. This momentum will prevent a sudden catastrophe that will result in rioting.

Not with a bang.

Keep your options open!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Great andyw option!

I think Armstrong will be sort of correct. Sometime over next few months will be a crash in share prices : but after that we will see recovery. I dont believe we will see riots or mass civil disobedience.

I also think we will avoid depression : I believe GDP will drop by between 6% and 9%

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Based on analysis I receive, we are in for a few months of a bear rally, before the collapse of the bailout programs that promise to "save the world". Chaos will descend, governments will fail and the people will take to the streets to riot.
    Sadly, your received analysis may well prove to be correct.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I vote for "not much difference"

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    No-one really knows what tomorrow will bring.

Leave a comment:

• So who thinks the G20 nations have saved the world economy?

We are already in a bull market, line your pockets with shares.
    0.00%
    The bailout programs will work, this is the start of a bull market.
    0.00%
    After a short rally, the markets will collapse like never before.
    43.75%
    Complete failure of bailouts, chaos, civil disobedience, riots and looting.
    31.25%
    I dont know who AndyW is but felt compelled to add this option.
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Based on analysis I receive, we are in for a few months of a bear rally, before the collapse of the bailout programs that promise to "save the world". Chaos will descend, governments will fail and the people will take to the streets to riot.

So what do you think? Lets put it to a vote:
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 3 April 2009, 22:00.

Working...
X