• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Much underrated

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Much underrated"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Gotta say I always thought Spike Milligan was overrated as a comedian. To me he always seemed a sad case, literally, who never got over World War 2 (which was surprising, as I think he spent most of it in the Home Guard, not exactly the most stressful and dangerous posting).

Note, I'm not sneering at anyone, young or old, who was in the Home Guard. For a start, anyone who was short-sighted or flat footed, or with a dodgy ticker etc would be turned down for the regular forces and thus have little choice.

Talking about comedians, often actors/actresses who normally play tough guys and baddies turn out to be surprisingly funny in comedies. Herbert Lom almost stole the show as the mad commissioner in the Pink Panther films, and Robert de Niro was hiliarious in Midnight Run.

He actually spent a large part of the war fighting in North Africa and Italy as a gunner in the Royal Artilliery, before being invalided out after being wounded in action and suffering from shell shock. It was almost certainly a contributing factor to the Bi-Polar disorder he suffered from for most of the rest of his life, including at least 10 major mental breakdowns.

If you havn't read his memoires - "Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall", "Rommel?" "Gunner Who?": A Confrontation in the Desert, "Monty: His Part in My Victory" and "Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall" - then you should. They are very funny and very poingant and give a real idea of what life was like for an ordinary soldier in the ranks during the African and Italian campaigns.

Milligan is one of those comedians you like or you don't, no in between really. He has given us some of the best british comedy ever created - The Goon Show - and although his TV work was arguably not as good it still has some gems. Many of thsoe who came after such as Python, The Goodies etc owe a huge debt to him in terms of inspiration, style and presentation.

He is also credited with writing the worlds funniest joke, based on a goon show sketch he wrote.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Like the others said, he did serve abroad. His books on the war and his postings are very funny! You should give them a try. I haven't seen much of his TV stuff except for Yellowbeard so I can't comment on that.
    His Q series was a bit hit and miss - but when it hit is was very funny.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Gotta say I always thought Spike Milligan was overrated as a comedian. To me he always seemed a sad case, literally, who never got over World War 2 (which was surprising, as I think he spent most of it in the Home Guard, not exactly the most stressful and dangerous posting).

Note, I'm not sneering at anyone, young or old, who was in the Home Guard. For a start, anyone who was short-sighted or flat footed, or with a dodgy ticker etc would be turned down for the regular forces and thus have little choice.

Talking about comedians, often actors/actresses who normally play tough guys and baddies turn out to be surprisingly funny in comedies. Herbert Lom almost stole the show as the mad commissioner in the Pink Panther films, and Robert de Niro was hiliarious in Midnight Run.
    Like the others said, he did serve abroad. His books on the war and his postings are very funny! You should give them a try. I haven't seen much of his TV stuff except for Yellowbeard so I can't comment on that.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by foritisme View Post
    Wouldn't class someone like the Divine Comedy as a guilty pleasure. Niow if you were to mention Black Lace......

Anyway back on topic

Sitcom - Early Doors
    Film - Mystery Men (also agree with Yellowbeard)
    Naw - ELO are the guilty pleasure!

Totally agree with Early Doors
    Mystery Men - did that have 'The Shovaler' and the bowling ball skull thingy?
    If so - yes it was great

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    My list of 3 underrated things:
    1. Having a crap
    2. "Agadoo"
    3. Gardening as a form of exercise

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    You couldn't be more wrong about that.

His books covering his war years were very funny (up to his being invalided out from Italy), but I agree that some of his TV stuff wasn't funny. Some was though.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    a sad case, literally, who never got over World War 2
    He'd probably have been the first to admit that.

He served in North Africa and Italy. He was injured and suffered from shell shock. I can't remember which of his books covered that period but it made very hard reading.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    - the whole thing is full of that malarkey. Spike Milligan is hilarious in it too.

I love the bit where he finds out his son is a gardner.... "a gardner, a Yellowbeard gardner"

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Cant agree more about the Divine Comedy, Mr P and I are big fans and love all their/his albums -witty and musically delightful. We saw them a few years ago in manchester - brilliant and he did a great version of ELO's Mr Blue Sky as an encore. I was very pleased as it is one of my guilty pleasures

In a similar vein Belle and Sebastian and Tom Waits - of course.

Mods - can we have a dedicated music section??? Pleeeeeeeeese

Wouldn't class someone like the Divine Comedy as a guilty pleasure. Niow if you were to mention Black Lace......

Anyway back on topic

Sitcom - Early Doors
    Film - Mystery Men (also agree with Yellowbeard)

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Yeah, and one of them with a headress so big there are special cut outs in the door frames so he can walk through them
    It's the best film... I might have to have a look on amazon for a copy. Bet my parents won't part with theirs.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Oh yeah... the spanish boys one with the lisp
    Yeah, and one of them with a headress so big there are special cut outs in the door frames so he can walk through them

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Cheech and Chong do a great cameo double act as well. The cast list was like a who's who of British and American comedy at the time.
    Oh yeah... the spanish boys one with the lisp

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    - the whole thing is full of that malarkey. Spike Milligan is hilarious in it too.

I love the bit where he finds out his son is a gardner.... "a gardner, a Yellowbeard gardner"
    Cheech and Chong do a great cameo double act as well. The cast list was like a who's who of British and American comedy at the time.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Yup, excellent film. Beryl Reid being indecently assaulted in a bush. Classic

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Agreed - it's sooooo funny. Seriously reminds me of my childhood
    Yup, excellent film. Beryl Reid being indecently assaulted in a bush. Classic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X