• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Football news not April fools"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Newcastle are 5.38 to beat Chelsea on Saturday. 3.54 for the draw.

10 quid on the home and go safe with a 3 quid on the draw.

I do not think Chelsea will come away with a win.

Worth a punt I think

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
    Norwich, the budgies, best footballing team, are you on hallucenogenics.

I think you've mistaken the scum for a far more successful East Anglian side down the road who have gone on to produce World Cup winning managers, won European Trophies etc.

They get a crowd of just under 25,000 a game even 4 seasons after relegation, so they must be doing something right on the entertainment side. Virtually no other side matches that in the Championship except Derby, and Birmingham muster less than 20K a game even though they are the top team.

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Will you still be cheering when they are relegated?

Nope be devasted but will still go to as many games as can....this is a massive boost for the club, players & supporters. His mere prescence at the club should give the highly paid/over rated players a proverbial kick up the backside....he has been known to have other players up against the wall for not pulling their weight, just what we need.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd put money on them staying up too, the psychological boost from getting him (you can't underestimate what a hero Shearer is to Newcastle) has to be massive.

Actually, IS anywhere taking beets on this?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Newcastle are on 29 points with 8 games left, they are 12 points off 7th which shows the mediocrity of mid division teams in the Premiership.

The usual cut for staying up is about 39 points, it has went up to 44 points but has been as low as 36 I think.

If they can take 3 wins 3 draws and 3 losses they will stay up and that is not out of their means so I do not know why people consider it out of their ability.

Last week they should have beat Arsenal but after missing a penalty and a sitter they got themselves to 1 each then lost a central defender, 2 minutes later they were down 2-1 because they never sent a midfielder down to defense to cover that position and an attacker down to midfield.

That shows me they have the ability but have had spuds for managers.

I doubt Shearer is some great manager but I know he would not make the mistake of not covering a central defenders position.

I bet he will keep them up. I will take bets on it.

p.s. if Newcastle had won that I would have taken away 1300 quid
    Last edited by minestrone; 2 April 2009, 00:11.

Leave a comment:

• bodnobal
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The best footballing teams such as Southampton and Norwich are fighting relegation to the first division.
    Norwich, the budgies, best footballing team, are you on hallucenogenics.

I think you've mistaken the scum for a far more successful East Anglian side down the road who have gone on to produce World Cup winning managers, won European Trophies etc.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by opc View Post
    What's your point?

You think Newcastle weren't getting relegated anyway and/or you think Shearer being manager is worse than employing two coaches to run the team?

Looks like there will still be two coaches.... Shearer and Ian Dowie. Denis Wise has also been released according to Talksport.

Leave a comment:

• opc
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    What's your point?

You think Newcastle weren't getting relegated anyway and/or you think Shearer being manager is worse than employing two coaches to run the team?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think they will stay up and do it by, maybe, 4 points.

The club is a mess but they will get a boost from this. Players will be busting a gut now. Moral is everything in a team game ( within limits ) and they have loads of it now.

Doubt they will do any better next year if they do stay up.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    I think you'll find the best teams (i.e. Reading) are fighting for promotion. Southampton are where they are 'cos they don't have as many points. It's maffs, innit!

.. and the reason that they don't have so many points is because they play passing football, but are good to watch. That, as I said, is not the way to win the Championship, unless you have a really exceptional team.

The most dull, one dimensional teams are at the top, barring Reading perhaps. Sheffield United for instance !!

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Alan Shearer appointed caretaker manager of Newcastle United until end of season

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    "Charlie Reeves, football analyst at Donnelly-McPartlin"

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Check out the Daily Mash

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/...-200904011677/

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Southampton are where they are because they're nearly bust.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X