• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordo to steal one hour of everyone's time."

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    S.R.&O. 1916 No. 382 (Isle of Man—Summer Time)

Long title: Order extending the Summer Time Act, 1916 (6 & 7 Geo. 5, c. 14), with adaptations.
    Date: 23rd May 1916.
    This order, under the Isle of Man (War Legislation) Act, 1914, extended the Summer Time Act, 1916 to the Isle of Man, creating an object known as the “Summer Time (Isle of Man) Act, 1916”, with retroactive effect from the date on which the Summer Time Act, 1916 took effect in the United Kingdom. Note that the date of this order is actually two days after Summer Time is deemed to have started.
    Ah, retrospective legislation! Nothing new there, then.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A nice summary.

For decades I have felt like a lone voice crying "Why do we continue to do this stupid thing?"

I still await an answer that stands up and warrants the entire nation being messed about. In fact, go back 6 months and you'll find my previous rant on the subject.

25 million households, each with 6 clocks (we have over 20) taking a couple of minutes each to set, call it 15 minutes for the operation = the equivalent of 3,700 years of work effort (at 37 hrs per week) twice a year.

How did the Egyptians build the pyramids? Probably by not changing their ******* clocks twice a year.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    You are not losing it, you are just investing it until the Autumn. At 0% of course
    This may soon be a better return than the banks. Isn't Gordon a genius?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    It's a fact! After Saturday night everyone will lose exactly one hour.
    You are not losing it, you are just investing it until the Autumn. At 0% of course

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    There lies the misconception, apparently there was some major accident in Orkney or somewhere in which 10 kids got killed, it never happened though.
    Where lies the misconception? I never had a misconception that there was some accident in Orkney etc.

I did have the conception that BST gives darker mornings, and that it gives dark mornings at school-times in Scotland more than in England. That's not a misconception.

Is there a formal name for the fallacy of assuming wrongly what the other person's unmentioned reason probably was? "Straw Man", perhaps. It's unfair because if unanswered, the other wrongly appears to be in error, and if answered, the other spend his resources rebutting what was never true.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Wrong way round: British Summer Time gives darker mornings in Scotland, so Scots aked NOT to have it in order to save lives. To the usual amount of effect.

It's time we stopped asking.
    There lies the misconception, apparently there was some major accident in Orkney or somewhere in which 10 kids got killed, it never happened though.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I don't know why we have it, misconception is that people in Scotland asked for it to stop the kids being killed on the streets during the morning.
    Wrong way round: British Summer Time gives darker mornings in Scotland, so Scots aked NOT to have it in order to save lives. To the usual amount of effect.

It's time we stopped asking.
    Last edited by expat; 29 March 2009, 11:55.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Does anyone have the time?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Hey chimp! Do you ever sleep?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    FYI

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    It's a fact! After Saturday night everyone will lose exactly one hour.
    Look on the bright side ...... the pubs will be open sooner.

Not that I can have any bloody doctors

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    As many have less money to spend it can only make sense to shorten that time in which we can spend it !!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's better to get killed in the afternoon, when the Scottish ambulance drivers have got over their hangovers and started work.
    As Prince Philip said to a Scottish driving instructor "how do you keep them off the drink long enough to pass their test?"

EDIT: exact quote was "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?"
    Last edited by minestrone; 28 March 2009, 10:09.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I don't know why we have it, misconception is that people in Scotland asked for it to stop the kids being killed on the streets during the morning.
    It's better to get killed in the afternoon, when the Scottish ambulance drivers have got over their hangovers and started work.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X