• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "George Osborne - "None will earn more than the PM’s £190,000-a-year""

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    No representation without taxation! Otherwise you get the current situation where those who don't contribute vote in a council that pushes up tax year on year by more than the rate of inflation.
    Welcome to Glasgow!!

The council, a couple of weeks ago, decided to up the minimum wage for council workers. all well and good but not when the country is bust.

The SNP are trying to push through a 3% income tax in place of the council tax, the Libs want it to be variable between councils which will happen as they need them to get the vote passed. I am very seriously considering moving to Engerland when this happens.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    I'm very dubious about having a "maximum wage". So long as they're paying the correct top rate tax, I'm quite happy for people with the right skills to command high remuneration. I've not yet totally given up the chance of this myself!
    However, what I would like to see is local councils or authorities given more responsibility (and power) over their budget. They should be given the option of raising money in other ways, perhaps by putting them in charge of stamp duty rates in their area. However, and this is important, the right to vote in council elections should be limited to those who pay council tax. No representation without taxation! Otherwise you get the current situation where those who don't contribute vote in a council that pushes up tax year on year by more than the rate of inflation.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Teaching? Or managing?

My Mrs is Head of PE - worth a mere £40k pa. You couldn't get me to do her job for triple that.
    Well I am sure the country respects our youth star jumping for 2 hours a week. Must be hard to say "can we all do star jumps now"

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Teachers: Most of the people who dropped out of engineering with an ordinary and were refused entry to the honours went into teaching and now earn more than the people with firsts.
    Teaching? Or managing?

My Mrs is Head of PE - worth a mere £40k pa. You couldn't get me to do her job for triple that.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Teachers: Most of the people who dropped out of engineering with an ordinary and were refused entry to the honours went into teaching and now earn more than the people with firsts.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    In real terms, the savings are tiny. But it makes the chavs and the self-righteous feel better.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Just before we all sign up to this, what really will the saving be?

I see it more as a bit of saber ratting rather than the full swinging axe to the public sector pensions that should be happening. Possibly a sign that the public sector is bigger than the tories now?

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehou...fat-cats.thtml

There is an important policy announcement from George Osborne in his interview with The Sun today:

“He also declared war on public servant fat cats.

None will earn more than the PM’s £190,000-a-year.”

This is both good politics and good policy. It will strike a chord with a public that is increasingly angry and frustrated at the excesses of the public sector boss class. And, really, can any CoffeeHousers explain why the chief executive of the Carbon Trust has to be paid £262,350 a year?

One of the great scandals of Labour’s period in power is how public sector managers are now getting paid private sector salaries but still receiving public sector levels of benefits, job security and working conditions. It is good to see that the Tories will set about ending this cosy stitch-up which has been carried out at the expense of the taxpayer.

Sensibly, the Tories have exempted permanent secretaries, the Bank of England and the Financial Services Authority from this measure — meaning that where necessary the government can still compete with top-end private sector salaries. But the fact that 68 quangocrats are paid more than the Prime Minister’s £190,000 is proof-positive that there is a waste to be cut in the public sector. It is also indicative of a culture that has no concept of value for money.

A masterstroke, this more than makes up for Eric Pickles last night.
    I wonder what all the council bosses who put their money in Icelandic banks will be capped at?

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    do agree though that public sector can't expect 'on-par' salaries with the private sector, yet still expect the cushy 9-5 hours, unsackable wrecklessness, and job security.

You forgot the Publc Sector index linked golden pensions Chris.
    You both forgot the generous holiday provision.

Edit: I forgot the 'no questions asked, take 6 months off for stress' sick leave .

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    We shoud reduce Brown's wage to 10 quid, he might get tempted to take a high paying non job at some IB like Blair did. Well, he does have all the qualifications, useless, knows how to lose money quickly.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Dunno, I reckon £190k for being the PM is too low when you look at the level and responsibility it carries. Forget Gordon Brown for a minute as a person, but look at the role...
    What responsibility? He's a professional gob tulipe!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    As I was saying the other day my daily rate is now about 65% of what it was 5 years ago, the gf's public sector wage has more than doubled.
    So has your tax burden.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    As I was saying the other day my daily rate is now about 65% of what it was 5 years ago, the gf's public sector wage has more than doubled.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    I do agree though that public sector can't expect 'on-par' salaries with the private sector, yet still expect the cushy 9-5 hours, unsackable wrecklessness, and job security.
    f

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    do agree though that public sector can't expect 'on-par' salaries with the private sector, yet still expect the cushy 9-5 hours, unsackable wrecklessness, and job security.

You forgot the Publc Sector index linked golden pensions Chris.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X