• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordon ignores Bank of England"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    That's two of us then. I never could understand how a no hoper like Blair could hold the UK voting public in a trance like state voting for him 3 times. I was a very sad day for the UK when he became an MP, never mind being the friggin PM for nearly 10 years. Truly amazing, the historians will have a field day when they write that chapter.
    Had the former Lamour Leader John Smith not died in office before Labours election - then Blair would have never got a whiff of power - tragically for Britain - it was not to be.

Looking back - had he not jumped onto the Iraq bandwagon with the US cowboys - things could have been so different - but he did not have the balls or politcal understanding that Harold Wilson had ; when despite tremendous pressure from the US and the UK Establshment he chose not to commit the UK to the Vietnam War.

Who could argue against that decision now ?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 March 2009, 08:26.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    She didnt suffer Fools gladly and saw Blair for the vain sychophantic imbicile that he is.
    That's two of us then. I never could understand how a no hoper like Blair could hold the UK voting public in a trance like state voting for him 3 times. I was a very sad day for the UK when he became an MP, never mind being the friggin PM for nearly 10 years. Truly amazing, the historians will have a field day when they write that chapter.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Your quote did not include the most salient point of the Mash's article which was the title:

"There's no more money, says man who prints all the money".

More seriously (but essentially saying the same thing) is how Bloomberg reports it:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=economy
    March 26 (Bloomberg) -- The first failed British bond auction in more than seven years leaves Prime Minister Gordon Brown’s reputation for economic competence even more tarnished as he battles recession and a rising tide of voter anger.

Brown, who had the backing of 30 percent of the electorate in a ComRes Ltd. poll last week, must now cope with what amounts to a vote of no confidence by investors in his ability to end the recession. Bank of England Governor Mervyn King, his ally for much of the past decade, warned a day earlier that there’s no more money for further spending.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Mr Brown used a speech to MEPs in Strasbourg yesterday to exhort the European Union to take the lead in rehabilitating the world economy and forging a new “moral” capitalism. He called for an end to offshore tax havens, tougher financial regulation, and international limits on remuneration.
    And end to tougher financial regulation and an end to insternational limits on remuneration?

Sounds like free markets to me.

Get out of the bloody market Gordy!

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    A minor point, but a UK bond auction failed this morning.

Might sound like a small bit of City trivia but a UK bond auction is one of the ways in which the market indicates it perceived strength in the UK economy.

At the risk of sounding like Pte Frazer from Dads Army ...

we're doooooooooomed!
    If no-one wants to buy UK bonds, Gordon Brown-nose is well and truly sh@fted

Leave a comment:

• bestroute
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I didn't find it that hard...
    I did, but then I'm thick

Leave a comment:

• bestroute
    replied
    Nowt wrong with the old Poly's apart from them having been made into shallow impersonations of Universities, I'm not ashamed to say that I got my first degree in Electronic Engineering from a Polytechnic, apparently my 18 year old business hasn't been run properly so I'd best shut it down.
    Wow....I'm not alone!!

My first degree was also Electrical and Electronic Engineering, from North East London Poly in Barking. Yay brother, we're not alone

Now...can we find a scummy arts graduate to gang up on hehehehe.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Nowt wrong with the old Poly's apart from them having been made into shallow impersonations of Universities, I'm not ashamed to say that I got my first degree in Electronic Engineering from a Polytechnic, apparently my 18 year old business hasn't been run properly so I'd best shut it down.

The fact that most of our so called leaders have absolutely no background in science or engineering doesn't shock me at all. For years they've been driving the country away from any kind of manufacturing, innovation or technical investment.

Politicians only listen to subject matter experts when they want material for a sound bite.
    That is true, my first degree In mechanical engineering was from a poly serving up University Of London degrees, my subsequent degrees were from 'red brick' places, Glasgow, Stathclyde. Looking back I think I learned more from the 5 years I worked as a butcher going through my education.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I didn't find it that hard, but it was interesting to me so I was motivated, plus I had a bursary which paid a bonus depending on final mark .
    First as in not the only Degree I hold, score wise I got a 2:1 as I screwed up 1 final rather badly.
    what other degree do you have tykemerc ?
    is it an art, to keep the balance ?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Well done Sir - a first degree in Electronic Engineering is an impressive achievement in my book.

A very difficult Degree to obtain - in any institution.
    I didn't find it that hard, but it was interesting to me so I was motivated, plus I had a bursary which paid a bonus depending on final mark .
    First as in not the only Degree I hold, score wise I got a 2:1 as I screwed up 1 final rather badly.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Well done Sir - a first degree in Electronic Engineering is an impressive achievement in my book.

A very difficult Degree to obtain - in any institution.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 25 March 2009, 16:27.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

The fact that most of our so called leaders have absolutely no background in science or engineering doesn't shock me at all. For years they've been driving the country away from any kind of manufacturing, innovation or technical investment.

Politicians only listen to subject matter experts when they want material for a sound bite.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Perhaps then she would like to donate her excess 90,000 to a struggling cosmologist ie - moi ...
    I remember a Labour politician in the 1980s who said he'd only take the "average wage" when he got elected as an MP. His constituents were well miffed when they heard how much an "average wage" was (it was pretty good for oop North).

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Aye EO !

Buit I keep on the right side of Liam - my hope is that should the Torys win the election - Old Alf will suddenly find himself with a plumb job in Government along the lines of - Miinister for Social Development or perhaps Minister for Popular Music - you get the idea.

And we shall all live happily ever after ...
    you know him alf ? could you get me fixed up as minister for on-line games ?

A mate of mine injured his knee, it took longer than expected to mend so he went to the army doctor. The doc took three aspirin and bandaged them to the knee. barmy

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    <cough>Margaret Hilda Thatcher got a degree in Chemistry from Oxford</cough>
    Say what you like about Thatcher - but she was a bright lassie.

Funniest moment was when she told Mr Blair - who was always trying his best to curry favour from Thatch - that there was no way she would have invaded Iraq - because of the lack of evidence - and as a scientist therefore she could not have approved of that decision to take the county to War.

I dont think Blair ever recovered from that re-buttal - it was devastating.

She didnt suffer Fools gladly and saw Blair for the vain sychophantic imbicile that he is.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 25 March 2009, 16:16.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X