• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Spivak's Calculus

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spivak's Calculus"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Popcorn anyone?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you miss the point.
    Do calculus,
    then read a poncy book about it,
    sign on to CUK and then boast your @rse off like a frotting gayboy blowhard

Alternatively, spend your time on CUK, posting forced "funny" messages in order to garner popularity and massage your fragile ego, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    This is the School I am going to send my children to..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/7958863.stm

I truly hated school, I hated university, I hate sitting in dull offices chasing down bugs created by half wit permie developers.

We have much in common !!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    .. btw - you need to know how to do long division in order to solve certain types of integrals.
    If you're talking about partial fractions, the link with long division seems a bit tenuous.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    you miss the point.
    Do calculus,

- we all thought it, but only EO posts it

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    I think that calculus only exists to provide a foundation that's of use to theoretical mathematics and not much else, regrettably.
    I used calculus LOADS during my electronics degree - I actually rather enjoyed it - but can’t remember much of it now.
    However, If i got a job measuring gradients in waveforms for a living........
    ..............I'd probably have shot myself by now!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    you miss the point.
    Do calculus,

WHS

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    you miss the point.
    Do calculus,

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    you miss the point.
    Do calculus,

sasguru

sorry, frotting gayboy blowhard is more acurate.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    How many people do you know that use calculus every day in a working environment? Is there really any point in teaching it?
    you miss the point.
    Do calculus,

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I think that calculus only exists to provide a foundation that's of use to theoretical mathematics and not much else, regrettably.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    maybe too early as it seems to have put you off for life.
    How many people do you know that use calculus every day in a working environment? Is there really any point in teaching it?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    My primary school..

all in here

Secondary School..

here

Yes, I went to the best schools and yes we did get calculus lessons at the age of 11.

maybe too early as it seems to have put you off for life.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So what you're saying is that you didn't make use of your education and that's somehow the education system's fault? You would have used it if you had had continued to be a mechanical engineer, which I guess no one forced you to study?
    Most people don't learn calculus, it's usually introduced at A-level Maths (you must have gone to really good school if it was introduced at 11 ).
    My primary school..

An East Renfrewshire primary has been named as Scotland's best mainstream school by inspectors.
    Our Lady of the Missions in Thornliebank, which has 664 pupils, has broken all records for reports issued by HM Inspectorate of Education.

It has been judged excellent on nine of the 15 yardsticks for assessing how well a school performs.

The childrens' progress in maths and English was singled out, as was the school's relationship with parents.

Inspectors praised the primary school's "climate of equality, fairness and high expectations".

It also won plaudits for its strong identity as a Catholic school, its ethos and its highly-motivated pupils.
    all in here

Secondary School..

A row has broken out over enrolment at a school which was given the best ever inspector's report (HMIe) for a Scottish secondary.

East Renfrewshire Council is attempting to limit the number of pupils enrolling at St Ninian's in Giffnock, which has been given unprecedented HMIe marks.

Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education awarded St Ninian's seven "excellents" and 10 "very goods" in the report published on Tuesday.

The watchdog listed the exemplary behaviour, courtesy and hard work of pupils as a key strength of the school.
    here

Yes, I went to the best schools and yes we did get calculus lessons at the age of 11.
    Last edited by minestrone; 24 March 2009, 16:41.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    yup - very good book.

Do you know if "Fooled by randomness" is much the same or much other stuff?
    I'm not sure - it's on my list for Waterstones this weekend!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X