• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best family car for £6K?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Our family car is an '05 Scenic and I have never had any problems with it. Runs well, good equipment and loads of storage - great value for money.

Funnily enough I had the same problem with my ex Audi TT a couple of years ago, where the dashboard dials started playing up and blanking out - Audi wanted to charge me £400 to replace but I kicked up a stink and got it changed for nought (eventually...).
    There's a permy here who has the faulty dash, he found a guy who makes a tidy living doing that one repair. You've been lucky so, only a mater of time.

To quote Parkers on the Megane range:

A torrent of problems from owners of early cars - no new car should have so many problems. Squealing brakes, water leaks, loose trim, loss of power and gear selection problems are just a few. More recent cars seem to be better built and complaints are decreasing.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Funnily enough I had the same problem with my ex Audi TT a couple of years ago, where the dashboard dials started playing up and blanking out - Audi wanted to charge me £400 to replace but I kicked up a stink and got it changed for nought (eventually...).
    My TT had to have a whole new console cost c£800. Fortunately, Audi paid for it...

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Mitsubishi Legnum?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=966

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    WHS

not my fave but for second hand cars they last well and are pretty reliable.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TCL

Renault Scenic - don't do it

Ours (05 Scenic II) is the biggest heap of tulip I've ever had the misfortune to own. Electric failures all the time, warning light, engine management faults etc.

Dealer is completely unable to fix any of it, claims its "just a computer glitch". Its been in so often I've lost count. And I hear the same stories from lots of other owners too.

Seriously, steer well clear.

Weren't they on Watchdog last week? I was only half watching while on my PC, but I believe they had to recall thousands of dashboards or something.
    Our family car is an '05 Scenic and I have never had any problems with it. Runs well, good equipment and loads of storage - great value for money.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TCL View Post

Renault Scenic - don't do it

Ours (05 Scenic II) is the biggest heap of tulip I've ever had the misfortune to own. Electric failures all the time, warning light, engine management faults etc.

Dealer is completely unable to fix any of it, claims its "just a computer glitch". Its been in so often I've lost count. And I hear the same stories from lots of other owners too.

Seriously, steer well clear.
    Weren't they on Watchdog last week? I was only half watching while on my PC, but I believe they had to recall thousands of dashboards or something.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Go for a second hand Focus Estate. Nice, solid, sensible and dependable.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Just realised it's an old thread.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 18 October 2009, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Ford Mondeo, the zetec 1.8 one?
    WHS

not my fave but for second hand cars they last well and are pretty reliable.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Do you live in westminster?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    http://www.easier.com/view/News/Moto...le-274164.html

The What Car? Used Car of the Year 2009 small family car award went to the 2006 "06" registered five-door Ford Focus selling for around £6,400.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/phot...ntid=150188506

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    What sort of mileage are you going to do in it? If it's going to be low, you could probably pick up a bargain with something which costs that bit extra to run.

If you are looking at a higher mileage, I'd be looking at a Jap car for the reliability.

Leave a comment:

• Slumdog
    replied
    Appreciated engines are the same for Skoda, VW etc. Suprisingly I used to have a skoda company car, the same size as the VW Passat. You just dont get the refinement IMO.

For example the central locking as not as good. I know they are minor things but you can see the build quality with the Audis compared to VW and Skoda.

It's like buying a SAAB (a vauxhall vectra underneath). No thanks!!!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
    Doesn't the A4 use the engine that goes into the Skoda?
    Better off buying the Skoda, a couple of years newer without the "added value"
    The Passat is an A4 stretched by 2" and the Superb is an A4 stretched by 6". The Superb 1.9TDi Elegance probably has a better level of trim than the equivalent A4 and you'll get one younger for the same money. Massively bigger in the back seats. I used to drive Audis, 80's and A4's, before I started buying Skodas. HTH.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X