• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Google streetview

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google streetview"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Image no longer available!
    Good job The Register have a backup

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I think this probably represents the average CUK poster perfectly
    Image no longer available!

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I'd need an 'appliance' to pee like that!
    Me to!

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Dad? DAD? Dad!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I'd need an 'appliance' to pee like that!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Although it's also amusing to see that, if one zooms out and pans up a little, the "privacy" algorithm has blurred the face of the cartoon character on the poster above
    Last edited by NickFitz; 21 March 2009, 03:45. Reason: Oops! Forgot the link :-)

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    For those who havn't found it yet, it is available simply in the "Maps" option on Google on the web. You don't have to get or update Google Earth, though of course Google do allow you to get to it that way too.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    How big is yours?

I'm surprised no-one has posted a picture of their mansion on here yet?

Now that the technology exists, this should settle the argument once and for all.

Unfortunately it's not reached the shires yet so I can't yet post up a picture of Moorfield Towers.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    For those who havn't found it yet, it is the "Maps" option on Google, nothing to do with Google Earth.

Rubbish.... it is on Google Earth.

You just need to download the latest version, and then look under 'Layers' and tick the box 'Streetview'.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 20 March 2009, 18:55.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    For those who havn't found it yet, it is the "Maps" option on Google, nothing to do with Google Earth.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Interesting comment on the times about this from a businessman:

It's great for credit checking as you can see the kind of property and area someone lives in, and also when buying things mail order that the place actually exists! If you are a business this is a great money saving service and of course you can show your customers where you are if your not obvious.
    So you could potentially find yourself refused business based on an arbitary judgement from a call centre operator. Fantastic

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Was just sparking conversation really. Not really "for" or "against" this - it does *feel* like a bit of an intrusion, but likeusay there's nothing to stop you going and taking the photos yourself.

It's definitely intrusive and a bonanza for 'peeping toms' or anybody wishing to plan and make a quick escape from a crime without going to the area and risking alerting the locals. Thankfully, those types are in the minority and personally I think this facility is great.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Honestly don't get what people are bitching about in regards to this, it's little more than a snapshot picture of a location at some indeterminate time in the past but way media are going on non tech savvy people are thinking it's live feeds from satellites that can track you where ever you go (they are combining in their heads with the mobile phone GPS tracking a few weeks ago)

Like really whats different from this to say me standing out some random sex shop for a few mins taking photo's and posting them to my web site?

For more concerned about the few million CCTV cams in the country and live web cams people point at public places
    Was just sparking conversation really. Not really "for" or "against" this - it does *feel* like a bit of an intrusion, but likeusay there's nothing to stop you going and taking the photos yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Honestly don't get what people are bitching about in regards to this, it's little more than a snapshot picture of a location at some indeterminate time in the past but way media are going on non tech savvy people are thinking it's live feeds from satellites that can track you where ever you go (they are combining in their heads with the mobile phone GPS tracking a few weeks ago)

Like really whats different from this to say me standing out some random sex shop for a few mins taking photo's and posting them to my web site?

For more concerned about the few million CCTV cams in the country and live web cams people point at public places

Leave a comment:

Working...
X