• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: A litmus test

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A litmus test"

Collapse

• BrollyBonce
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Thats really really not fair, totally uncalled for - I read some statistics that approx 5% of parents of Scouse Children are actually married - So they are not ALL Bastards.....
    That'll be the Irish immigrants then...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    But on the downside, they are scousers.
    Couldn't agree more.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The one really good thing about scousers is that they aren't southerners.
    But on the downside, they are scousers.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Living in the south myself, I fully endorse that view.
    Couldn't agree more.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Living in the south myself, I fully endorse that view.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    I'm sick of you lot putting down scousers. Always focusing on negatives like scousers being thieving b@stads.

Remember the positives too! Liverpool have the best football team in Europe and after the two new signings from Japan and Italy, Liverpool are soon to be the best in the world. I for one can't wait for Nikamota (Nick-a-motor) and Robertelli (Rob-a-telly) to join the team.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    don't get me started on the Scousers!!!!
    Eh Eh, calm down

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    Any sentence that starts or ends with ianar [but] is invariably racist.
    Ditto - "No offence but........" &/or "...... No offence"

Of Course its offensive!

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Any sentence that starts or ends with ianar [but] is invariably racist.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    You forgot to mention that they are thieving bastards.
    Thats really really not fair, totally uncalled for - I read some statistics that approx 5% of parents of Scouse Children are actually married - So they are not ALL Bastards.....

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

e.g. My experience of working with 4 major Scouse(ianar) systems integrators is that while they are cheaper, and whilst they are technically very good and polite -they simply have no(ianar) capacity for management(ianar),
    worse of all - their food always seems to stink out the entire floor when they use the microwave(ianar)

:
    You forgot to mention that they are thieving bastards.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    The place in between those two extremes is where the questions and problems arise.

Is it acceptable to generalise? I say yes, some valid things can only be said by generalisation. It is when the generalisation is applied to individuals, in ignorance or even in spite of the facts in the individual case, that generalisation becomes prejudice.

It is the prejudice that is wrong, not the generalisation.

If that is so, why is any generalisation "without examples and without stating this is a specific experience (rather than a general opinion) ... not acceptable"? If I am making a generalisation but not a prejudice then it may be both courteous and useful of me to say so, but why is it compulsory?

If I am not racist, why do I have to tell you that I am not racist? If I am not racist, but I say something that a racist person might say, is it necessarily up to me to make the difference? If you make the mistake of thinking that I am racist for that, it is you who make the mistake of generalisation and prejudice about me.
    So we should not be surprised - there is no "litmus test" for racism.
    • With no test at all, those who are the subjects of generalisation might be victims of prejudice.
    • With too simple a test, those who are generalising might be the victims in terms of false accusation.

If it was simple there would be no issue.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    Any negative comment about any group without examples and without stating this is a specific experience (rather than a general opinion) is not acceptable in my view.

So you can say "I knew someone who was fat and he smelled", but you cannot say that fat people smell, even if every fat person you ever met smelled, because you have not met (or smelled) all fat people.
    The place in between those two extremes is where the questions and problems arise.

Is it acceptable to generalise? I say yes, some valid things can only be said by generalisation. It is when the generalisation is applied to individuals, in ignorance or even in spite of the facts in the individual case, that generalisation becomes prejudice.

It is the prejudice that is wrong, not the generalisation.

If that is so, why is any generalisation "without examples and without stating this is a specific experience (rather than a general opinion) ... not acceptable"? If I am making a generalisation but not a prejudice then it may be both courteous and useful of me to say so, but why is it compulsory?

If I am not racist, why do I have to tell you that I am not racist? If I am not racist, but I say something that a racist person might say, is it necessarily up to me to make the difference? If you make the mistake of thinking that I am racist for that, it is you who make the mistake of generalisation and prejudice about me.
    Last edited by expat; 19 March 2009, 11:29.

Leave a comment:

• BrollyBonce
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    insert scouser in place of Indian to see if it still sounds racist.
    Insert "thieving ponce" in place of "low paid, hard worker who will learn a foreign language and go half way round the world for work".

Yep, I can see the Indians being seriously offended. And I would agree with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X