• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fat Burning Pills.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fat Burning Pills."

Collapse

• Netraider
    replied
    It's not complex at all. Eat more sensibly and exercise more.
    Good simple advice, but it took me 15 years to realise that fad diets, diet pills etc are not the way to go. It took an insurance medical and a 50% loading on my premium to wake me up. Been exercising and eating more sensibly for 6 months, and am now approaching a target BMI where the insurance company will reduce my premiums.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by interested View Post

Frankly I am sick of hearing fatties moan about being fat when the answer is so simple.
    Bluntly put, but I agree.

I have always been a little overweight and done just that. Being on the bench has given me a chance to get off my @rse and do something about it. I am now comfortably running 4x30 mins a week and hope to be tackling a 10K in the next month or so.

I'm also a big pharma shareholder so quite happy with the prospect of these pills being pushed and popped by as many people as possible. Should give me a nice divi income through my (fat free) retirement.
    Last edited by moorfield; 18 March 2009, 17:38.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I am certainly not advocating this type of diet, frankly I think its crazy, but the point I was making (albit badly ) was that not all overweight people are happy with the situation and many try to do something about it. What about all the people who have lost weight on a healthy diet + exercise regime, only to gain it again? It is a complex issue and frankly tw@ts such as your self make me want to vomit. (but dont worry I'm not bulimic)

Frankly I am sick of hearing fatties moan about being fat when the answer is so simple.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    As someone else said, eating 475 calories a day is recipe for disaster. It's more than that, it's idiotic.
    Reading the LighterLife website, they recommend 'taking it easy' on exercise whilst on their diet but caveating that with a big 'Exercise is important' strapline. How much exercise did your friend do? Not much, I'll bet.

You might lose a bit of weight with 'miracle' diets/pills but you'll put it back on. There is no substitute for a balanced diet and lots of exercise. It really is that simple, and in my experience fat people look for any excuse - 'it's genetic', or 'it's more complex than that' etc etc.

Fat f**kers - why should I pay tax so these useless idiots benefit from it?

I am certainly not advocating this type of diet, frankly I think its crazy, but the point I was making (albit badly ) was that not all overweight people are happy with the situation and many try to do something about it. What about all the people who have lost weight on a healthy diet + exercise regime, only to gain it again? It is a complex issue and frankly tw@ts such as your self make me want to vomit. (but dont worry I'm not bulimic)

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    And that has proved SO successful - hasnt it?
    I know many people who have lost weight - only to put it AND more back on.
    I know someone who went on Lighterlife and lost half his body weight consuming only 475 calories a day for about 8 months, but put it all back on. I dare anyone to say he has no willpower!
    Dealing with Obesity is a complex issue and if you look around you'll see that shouting at people to eat less and exercise more is frankly not effective.
    As someone else said, eating 475 calories a day is recipe for disaster. It's more than that, it's idiotic.
    Reading the LighterLife website, they recommend 'taking it easy' on exercise whilst on their diet but caveating that with a big 'Exercise is important' strapline. How much exercise did your friend do? Not much, I'll bet.

You might lose a bit of weight with 'miracle' diets/pills but you'll put it back on. There is no substitute for a balanced diet and lots of exercise. It really is that simple, and in my experience fat people look for any excuse - 'it's genetic', or 'it's more complex than that' etc etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ot-enough.html

Fat f**kers - why should I pay tax so these useless idiots benefit from it?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Most professional rugby players have a fat percentage below 12%, including front row forwards; they look huge on TV (and are indeed quite big), but many are actually quite slim when you see them. Not Kate Moss slim though, but she looks like a survivor from Sobibor.
    You seam to be showing an unhealthy interest in professional rugby players

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    I know someone who went on Lighterlife and lost half his body weight consuming only 475 calories a day for about 8 months, but put it all back on. I dare anyone to say he has no willpower!
    Dealing with Obesity is a complex issue and if you look around you'll see that shouting at people to eat less and exercise more is frankly not effective.
    The problem is though Pogle that losing half your body weight in 8 months is a recipe for disaster, the body reacts badly to massive swings in diet which is probably why the person in question put all of the weight back on, plus some.

As much as I appreciate the complexities, the only longterm solution is a lifestyle change, which does mean eating less (or at the very least more healthily) and exercising more. Depending on the starting conditions that could be as simple as taking the stairs rather than the lift and graduating from there.

Ultimately any 'quick fix' or crash diet is likely to end up in putting the weight back on.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    More doom Sally.
    Just answer one question. Have you ever seen a rugby player that looks like Kate Moss ? no.
    Therefore it's logic.
    Take the dysentry pills, poo for Britain, forget exercise and watch the pounds just fall out.

Most professional rugby players have a fat percentage below 12%, including front row forwards; they look huge on TV (and are indeed quite big), but many are actually quite slim when you see them. Not Kate Moss slim though, but she looks like a survivor from Sobibor.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    More doom Sally.
    Just answer one question. Have you ever seen a rugby player that looks like Kate Moss ? no.
    Therefore it's logic.
    Take the dysentry pills, poo for Britain, forget exercise and watch the pounds just fall out.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Following on from that X factor family story....

Has anyone been given those new "wonder drug" diet pills from their doctor yet?

I've heard lots about them (mainly that they work, but they make you pretty much sh*t yourself after everything you eat!)

But I haven't tried them..and I dont know anyone who actually has - it's always a "friend of a friend".
    Whatever you do, DO NOT use ephedra based pills. They have been used by bodybuilders trying to lose fat for competition and bring a serious risk of heart failure and blood clots in the brain, kidneys and liver. That's why ephedrine is a banned substance for sportspeople; it's deadly if it's not used on doctor's advice for particular medical conditions.

I don't know about the other herbal pills, but I do know from personal experience (dyssentry on holiday in India ended my hopes to become a professional rugby player) that diarrhoea is not good for you, and also not a good permanent way to lose wieght, quite simply because as your body recovers from the sh*ts, it will store fat to get you through another eventual bout of sickness.

This also exposes the problem with dieting; if you eat too little , you train your body to withstand hunger. It does that by storing lots of fat the moment you eat a bit more.

As I've said before, the best way to lose fat and keep it off is to increase yor exercise and thereby build greater muscle mass; the muscles then use the fat as a fuel.

Sorry if my message seems a little spartan, but I really think most doctors would agree that a gradual increase in exercise would help much more than crash diets or pills.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    WHS - there is only one way to lose weight properly: eat less and do lots of exercise, enough to make you really sweat rather than just walking to the kebab shop.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Dont let them put you off Sally Anne. Due to my life style I am an expert in 'anal leakage' and pooing streams of chip fat. Oh and farting like hurricane Katrina.
    It's not too difficult to get used to , and it can be quite entertaining on occasion. Just dont, ever, (and I mean ever) , imagine that you can hold it in. <cough>

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    That can't be good for you. What's wrong with a spot of regular *exercise*?
    WHS - there is only one way to lose weight properly: eat less and do lots of exercise, enough to make you really sweat rather than just walking to the kebab shop.

Leave a comment:

• BlightyBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I'm taking some chinese herbals and have lost about 15kgs of weight since Early Dec. 08. Not a lot, but it's going in the right direction.

Good for you sir!

I think a lot of people forget that it can take months, if not years of bad eating habits and lack of exercise (in most cases) to put on excessive weight. Therefore it shouldn't suprise them to hear that it will probably take just as long, without drastically changing your life-style (e.g. daily vigourous exercise) to lose all that excess weight.

Sounds to me like these pills are just sugar-coated dysentry tablets!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    The pills I think you are referring to is called Orlistat (or Xenical). I was put on it a few years back, did me more harm than good. Had to quit my job because the pills made me ill.

However, like what most posters have suggested, exercise and a change in diet is needed. I'm taking some chinese herbals and have lost about 15kgs of weight since Early Dec. 08. Not a lot, but it's going in the right direction.
    Whilst these things are relative, 15kg is a lot in just about anyones book. Keep going.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X