• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Estate agents %

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Estate agents %"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I negotiated a scale from 1% to 2.5%.

Thought there was no chance he would get to the figure to get 2.5%, the git burst through it massively. I suppose he earned it.

Changed times though.
    That's fair enough if he could add value and you agreed to the contract, if he blagged a better price from the purchaser you both came out ahead on the deal. At least you sold at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I negotiated a scale from 1% to 2.5%.

Thought there was no chance he would get to the figure to get 2.5%, the git burst through it massively. I suppose he earned it.

Changed times though.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

I sold my house on such a site for more money than the agent told me I could get. i was getting many more enquiries than the agant ever got me. You just picked the wrong site.
    Maybe. I hope you are correct. I hate estate agents (but not as much as recruitment agents).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    3/ Easy, HIPS are available cheaper online anyway
    Agreed about the HIPs. I used https://www.nethouseprices.com/

It cost about £200, took a couple of weeks, during which time you could monitor progress, and there was no hassle.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    2. Your property won't be on PrimeLocation or RightMove, which is like not being in Google.
    SKA

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sounds good doesn't it?

Problem is:

1. Some people don't like dealing with a vendor directly.
    2. Your property won't be on PrimeLocation or RightMove, which is like not being in Google.
    3. You will have to draw up your own decent (professional) floor plans, sort out the HIPS etc.
    4. Your photos will have to be good. Look at Savills, very good photos.

I advertised a house on several DIY online estate agents during the boom. Never had a single enquiry. Estate agent got me a dozen people in the first month.

1/ Who does most of the viewing? in my experince it's the vendor, dealing with the vendor on exchange dates etc. actually speeds things up
    2/ Yes it will if you pick the right package
    3/ Easy, HIPS are available cheaper online anyway
    4/ Have you seen the speed most agents take photos?

I sold my house on such a site for more money than the agent told me I could get. i was getting many more enquiries than the agant ever got me. You just picked the wrong site.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    They need the extra to pay for the hidden stealth tax called HIPS that they then offer for free !!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Ask DimPrawn to buy your place so he can add it to his property empire.
    I'd be looking for 50% below market value. Take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
    Spoke to 3 estate agents yesterday. Last year they wanted 1%. Now they want 2%. So property prices have gone down 20% but they want more money then before. I thought they woudl charge less to attract people to sell.
    1 Agent said they weren't happy with another agent at the moment as they are charging only 1%. Guess where I went next?
    Ask DimPrawn to buy your place so he can add it to his property empire.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Why do you need an estate agent? There are plenty of online choices that get you on righmove et al and will cost <£300. Don't belive the sales hype. This is just like a contractor going direct to the client i.e. you make more money and have more control
    Sounds good doesn't it?

Problem is:

1. Some people don't like dealing with a vendor directly.
    3. You will have to draw up your own decent (professional) floor plans, sort out the HIPS etc.
    4. Your photos will have to be good. Look at Savills, very good photos.

I advertised a house on several DIY online estate agents during the boom. Never had a single enquiry. Estate agent got me a dozen people in the first month.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Why do you need an estate agent? There are plenty of online choices that get you on righmove et al and will cost <£300. Don't belive the sales hype. This is just like a contractor going direct to the client i.e. you make more money and have more control

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    In a falling market, If I were you i'd pay for the best estate agent to sell quickly for you.

Prices are falling 2% every month FFS!

Every month counts!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Mine charged me 1.5%. To be honest I was thinking of asking them to take more. Say £500 to the agent that could sell my flat within 10% of asking price within 12 weeks. Dunno if that is legal though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Guess they figure it's a small consideration to buyers/sellers compared to everything else... and with so few sales maybe this is a desperate attempt to avoid dumping a ton of staff.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    started a topic Estate agents %

Estate agents %

Spoke to 3 estate agents yesterday. Last year they wanted 1%. Now they want 2%. So property prices have gone down 20% but they want more money then before. I thought they woudl charge less to attract people to sell.
    1 Agent said they weren't happy with another agent at the moment as they are charging only 1%. Guess where I went next?

Working...
X