• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Council Tax non payment"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Three or four days inside to "earn" a couple of grand tax free isn't a bad rate

Actually it wasn't a couple of Grand, it was £53, the difference between last years council tax + inflation and this years council tax, despite the apparently paltry amount it still went up by a lot more than their pensions did.

In both cases it was done to prove a point that council tax rises were unfair, its only gone up by 70% or if you like its nearly twice what it was when the New lie took power. Pensions haven't risen that much despite the 'minimum income guarantee' which means if you were stupid enough to take out a private pension you get sod all, however if you spent it all on Booze & fags you get £105 a week.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Bloody Pensioners

Who exactly did these pensioners think would be stumping up for the Council Tax they decided they didn't want to pay?

Once let out they should be invited to pay up like the rest of us or given the ultimatum of "Do you fancy some more?"

Three or four days inside to "earn" a couple of grand tax free isn't a bad rate.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I wrote my local council complaining about a member of staff.

He wrote me a letter re a local issue inviting me to ring him if I had any questions, well I did. When I evetually spoke to him he said "I don't know why your rining me" and hung up, I called him back and he told to to "Stop f***ing ringing him on this matter" even though he admited inviting me to ring him.

My response from the council was a letter praising this individual and at the bottom of the letter he had signed it himself

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    "Why is it the people who work in these council tax departments are all little Hitlers?"

Thank you Bagpus.

Hence my favoured desire to wind up these jumped up little Hitlers by not appearing the slightest bit fearful of their oh so common threats and their own dubious financial integrity.

Calling themselves 'officers' rather than what they really are ... inefficient lazy office clerks with a justified inferiority complex.
    If you speak to them on the phone you will get nowhere. They will not consider any factual points, points of law, or logic.

Write them a letter and 6 months later you may get a considered reply. You just know they had a commitee meeting to discuss the complexities and cobble together a reply. Th elast letter invited me to ring them for a discussion, NO I DO NOT WANT TO BE PATRONISED BY SOME EVIL FAT COW WHO IS MOUTHING 'talk to the hand'

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Originally posted by tux
    Not paying council tax and his savings from not visiting Kings Cross would make it well worth his while for BobTheGate. He dreams of dropping the soap in the prison showers.
    Re-living your 4th form humour ?

Enjoy while these local authority officers blow your money up their back-sides month in month out.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    semi-educated council estate hag
    Hey voron, this is Contractor UK, you don't have to talk nice about those people here.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    "Why is it the people who work in these council tax departments are all little Hitlers?"

Thank you Bagpus.

Hence my favoured desire to wind up these jumped up little Hitlers by not appearing the slightest bit fearful of their oh so common threats and their own dubious financial integrity.

Calling themselves 'officers' rather than what they really are ... inefficient lazy office clerks with a justified inferiority complex.

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    If you pay £14,000 for some semi-educated council estate hag, that is exactly what you get. They believe the world is wrong, they are right, and simply by existing you are somehow offensive.

I am currently contracting in a council and it's interesting to see that the front office departments all have a certain type of staff. They are argumentative, ugly and stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Why is it the people who work in these council tax departments are all little Hitlers? Any other customer service environment you do at least get some pretence of a customer realtionship. We do after all pay their wages, and contribute to the services we get. They aren't doing us a favour by sitting on their arses being stupid and rude all day.

It's not as if the service is even acceptable..The last letter I sent them took 6 months for a reply, they lost an email I sent because they printed it out (deleted it) and put it in the internal post!

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    Bagpuss, you are not safe under NL. One accusation is all it can take to ruin a life.
    Just be thankful she wasn't spiteful enough to claim you abused children or had raped her.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    My guess is they have sent in baliffs in the past. Usually prison is a last resort for persistant non payers.

On a slightly different note I'm having some fun with council tax at the moment. My ex was living in our house alone after we split. She rang them up and told them this and got the 25% single person discount. She didn't make the last monthly payment before she left so they've been chasing her for a few years for £90 or so. Anyway out of spite she told them I was also living at the house, so they sent her a rebate and are now chasing me for 50% of the 100% (so to speak) for the whole year. Nice how they can retrospectively change the liability years later even after she initially admitted it and paid it!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    When there was the mass non payment of the poll tax, I remeber reading a leaflet which stated that the bailiff could not force entry and had to be let in or gain access without breaking in. So if they found an open door or window then they could use that to gain access. I don't know if it is still the case.

Also you could simply sell all your stuff for a quid to somebody who you really trust. That way you have no assets to be removed. There are also things such as your bed which they cannot take away.

Leave a comment:

• tux
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    So you would rather get criminal record, eat crap food and try not to drop soap in the showers for a few weeks rather than pay £1k tax?
    Not paying council tax and his savings from not visiting Kings Cross would make it well worth his while for BobTheGate. He dreams of dropping the soap in the prison showers.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    They're most adept at it. (I believe )
    Last time I checked everything was not that straightforward, when I had court order to use bailiffs on the scumbag landlord who sued me and lost in court, then they did not do their job properly -- just checked the house she claimed to live in and did not do squat saying she does not live there (which was true, she effectively lied on court forms in addition to other lies she had).

My solution was to use 3rd party debt order -- this allows to arrest money in bank account used by the losing party easily, worked like a charm.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Bailiffs most certainly do have the right to break down doors and remove things. Provided they have a court order.

They're most adept at it. (I believe )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X