• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Creating money won't hurt"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    For it is written - Python 1:12
    "..and St Attiloc held the Hand Grenade up on high saying "Oh Lord, bless this thy Hand Grenade - that with it though mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits"

And the Lord did grin."
    Book of Armaments (Chapter 2, verses 9-21)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    [I]

Jings - Im really in a Biblical Mood today - anyone else feeling a wee bit Starless and Bible Black ?
    I'm not sure it would get past the web filters here

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    For it is written

Genesis 3:19:

By the sweat of your face You will eat bread Till you return to the ground, Because from it you were taken; For you are dust, And to dust you shall return."

Jings - Im really in a Biblical Mood today - anyone else feeling a wee bit Starless and Bible Black ?
    For it is written - Python 1:12

"..and St Attiloc held the Hand Grenade up on high saying "Oh Lord, bless this thy Hand Grenade - that with it though mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits"

And the Lord did grin."

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Flipping burgers is not for everyone.
    So go to night school and improve your lot then.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    So I must not enjoy myself because the bible says so ? Now I understand why I am gradually veering towards atheism.
    Nope - for it is written -

I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

So there you have it - enjoy your life.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Do what I do and just get a job that is not a grind.

HTH
    Flipping burgers is not for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    For it is written

By the sweat of your face You will eat bread Till you return to the ground, Because from it you were taken; For you are dust, And to dust you shall return."

So I must not enjoy myself because the bible says so ? Now I understand why I am gradually veering towards atheism.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied

HTH
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Most jobs become a grind over time and thus I have changed career a few times. I simply don't understand the mentality of somebody that does not want copious leisure-time.

For it is written

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Quit now (mentally).
    Pay cash.
    Don't retire.
    Die broke.
    Aye Expat

Taking some Time Out after that last gig are we ? - ah lucky man - with Spring just round the corner its not such a bad time - eh ?

Whatever you're up to - good luck !

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

HTH

Most jobs become a grind over time and thus I have changed career a few times. I simply don't understand the mentality of somebody that does not want copious leisure-time.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I'd rather retire early and at least have the opportunities that I would not have if I was committed to the daily grind.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I would also venture that if you 'retire' and then do nowt with yoiur life - Nature sees that and will take you out - you only have to see that stats from pension companies to leatn not many folk collect more than two years of their pension - and the rest of the pension goes into the pockets of the Pension companies- Im not having that.

By the same token, I have known many people that have developed health problems through the stress of work, and also some who never managed to draw a pension because they died while in work. I'd rather retire early and at least have the opportunities that I would not have if I was committed to the daily grind.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Thats funny - I guess nobody gets offered pension schemes anymore at interviews - perhaps people have a kind of intution they mght not be around to collect it ?

Whatever - I did not accept any pension schemes because I found them to difficult to understand - and anything in life that involves paying money and the details are unclear - beware.

Some pension schemes are non-contributory, so no contributions are necessary and thus a good deal. I have a deferred one with a bank from which I am currently waiting for a valuation.

If you have a company pension then the company contributes as well as yourself, and generally more, so in effect each year is worth a few thousand pounds extra salary. I also have one of these and is currently worth much more than a state pension would give me, yet it has been deferred for over a decade.

Other types of pension I agree are probably not good value, except a SIPP, but it is silly to knock all types when they can form part of a good retirement portfolio.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Quit now (mentally).
    Pay cash.
    Don't retire.
    Die broke.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X