• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is the doom just beginning?"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Our only hope woud be to find some way to Travel backwards in Time to the Gates of Allyssium.- othewise I fear its

Fire -

... I'll take you to learn

Fire -

I'll see you burn

You fought hard and you saved and earned
    But all of it's going to burn
    And your mind,
    your tiny mind

You know you've really been so blind
    Now 's your time, burn your mind

Fire, to destroy all you've done
    I'll feel you burn

You've been living like a little girl
    In the middle of your little world

Fire, I'll take you to learn
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 March 2009, 12:46.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes, he is a cant!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Yes, that might well be the best name for it.
    Threaded - please - no stop - you can't !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find investors who bought all their shares right at the top of the market.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Threaded, are you married to Mystic Meg?
    No, Rosey Palmer.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Threaded, are you married to Mystic Meg?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Hes talking about the detonation of the Reality Bomb.
    Yes, that might well be the best name for it.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    just received a 10% dividend payment from one of my stocks...

not a bad start really

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So that might indicate that now is a good time to invest.
    No, it might not - dividends are paid for past performance, so what if some house building company made big profits from 2008 when they got only prospect of big losses in the next few years?

Dividends based model of share pricing only works with stable businesses that give pretty much guaranteed returns.

So 5% dividends right now means jack all if there won't be any dividends in the next few years.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find investors who bought all their shares right at the top of the market.
    They don't want to be found out for sure

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Is that %-tage to current low share prices? If you bought shares on the peak (say double the share price) then suddenly dividends ain't that high.
    Well the point is the return if you'd bought 10 years ago wouldn't be 0 because the dividend yield at that time was about 2% and has now risen.

So that might indicate that now is a good time to invest.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'm currently recieving about 4-5% in dividends.
    Is that %-tage to current low share prices? If you bought shares on the peak (say double the share price) then suddenly dividends ain't that high and even if they were 5% then still massive loss in share price won't make one feel very good: nobody invests long term now, waiting 15-20 years for dividends to pay back investment is way too long.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Santa, If you are making lots of money by shorting, why do you hate this country. Seems to me it's a land of opportunity for you

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Actually you would have decent returns. You might be surprised how much in dividends you get. I'm currently recieving about 4-5% in dividends. So although your portfolio wouldn't be worth a great deal more than 10 years ago you'll be earning quite a few doolies from the divs.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Never mind with your superb technical and charting abilities, I'm sure you have no need to worry.
    Hey, you said something right sasguru

Seriously though, the standard "buy and hold" model of investing is dead.
    I mean, what sort of returns would the average punter have got on the stock indices if he had held them in his pension for 10 years?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    The UK has agreed on "quantative easing", or in yours and my terms, printing money!

This will dilute the value of the £ further. It will dilute confidence in UK plc and the govt's credit worthinesss.

Jim Rogers said last night on Channel4 that eventually nobody will want to buy UK govt bonds because they wont be worth the paper they are written on. I think he is right.

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...rogers/3009962

Lets face it, the one driver of our economy, finance, is dead!
    We killed off manufacturing and agriculture.
    We almost killed off IT with outsourcing.
    The banks have gone to the wall.
    The non pofit making Public sector probably accounts for more employment than the private sector now.
    We have corrupt MPs and politicians grabbing anything they can get before it all goes to pot.
    We owe an incomprehensible few trillion in debt.
    There is no bottom to the market. You are kidding yourself if ypu think there is. Ok, well, maybe zero!
    And my baby's generation will be made to pay for this mess.

Anyone want to stick around for too long in this country?
    Don't all raise your hands at once!
    I thought you lived in Lapland?

Or has that gone to pot as well?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X