• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This will go down well with the Jocks"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Over'ere in Europe (most of the mainland, anyway) 16 yr olds can buy beer. Teenage drunkeness is much less of an issue too for some reason. Go figure.

Maybe the jocks really do have a genetic tendancy to alcoholic oblivion. Also possibly it's those nancy do-gooding trossers that govern them that drive them to drink.
    It's little to do with our genetics and more to do with the Presbyterianism that was forced upon Scotland. People were told that drinking was shameful so they hid away in pubs, this created an open and closed culture to drinking.

In England there was always the Village pub. In Europe parents would encourage the drinking of diluted wine to children so there was never a problem.
    Last edited by minestrone; 3 March 2009, 22:33.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Over'ere in Europe (most of the mainland, anyway) 16 yr olds can buy beer. Teenage drunkeness is much less of an issue too for some reason. Go figure.

Maybe the jocks really do have a genetic tendancy to alcoholic oblivion. Also possibly it's those nancy do-gooding trossers that govern them that drive them to drink.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    A more sensible and grown-up (i.e. without lying about the statistics) solution would be to revert to the old practice of applying duty according to the alcohol content. That way, 8% Wifebeater costs nearly twice as much as a Best Bitter and White Cider disappears off the market. Meanwhile, a nice 3.5% session ale is relatively dirt cheap. And you can't have a nasty fight with 8 pints of session ale inside you - a brawl, yes, but not a Red Bull & vodka fuelled knife fight.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Went down the supermarket earlier and decided to do a bit of, ehh, research for the purpose of this thread and the CUK community.

3 litres of 8% cider for 2.89.

I love the bench, it also chalks up another reason why I do not vote SNP.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    We will be left with a race of loud-mouthed, thicko, boorish peasants North of the border

och eye! the neewww

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Don't you know that drinking is bad for your elf

Coat? Have a bloody cloakroom, attendant, lobby and hatstand for that one.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Yes, like banning the sale of heroin has totally stopped the supply to the general public. Everybody does what they are told to do by the government.
    I would have thought that you of all people would have a more sensible attitude, considering your avatar.
    Don't you know that drinking is bad for your elf

igmc

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I only wish they'd gone the whole hog and restricted off licence sales to over 21's.
    Yes, like banning the sale of heroin has totally stopped the supply to the general public. Everybody does what they are told to do by the government.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I fully support these actions by my government. I only wish they'd gone the whole hog and restricted off licence sales to over 21's. Everyone in Scotland knows we have a problem with the booze; the ones who deny it are most probably the biggest part of the problem.

The whole point about setting a minimum price per unit of alcohol has actually come off the back of a study by the University of Sheffield. So not really an idea thought up around a boozy dinner table.

In this article you've got the British Medical Association and the Police both saying this is a good idea whereas you've got the Portman Group and the Scottish Retail Consortium against it. I wonder which of these bodies has the best interests of society as its agenda rather than maintaining profit margins. I mean it’s not as if you can buy a two litre bottle of super strength cider for less than a 2 litre bottle of water is it?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I make a nostril-damus prediction. The rich jocks will carry on boozing, because they can afford the price hike, so by a process of natural selection, the well educated, intelligent jocks will die out due to liver disease. We will be left with a race of loud-mouthed, thicko, boorish peasants North of the border

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    The fact that Scotland is looking to implement this means that it will be south of the border in a couple of years

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If you look at the graphs at the bottom on those exceeding daily consumption Scotland and England are level pegging. Yet they have 2.5 times more deaths?
    It's the deep-fried Mars Bars diet.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Does not compute.

If you look at the graphs at the bottom on those exceeding daily consumption Scotland and England are level pegging. Yet they have 2.5 times more deaths?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Great news for bootleg distilleries though. They'll be minting it soon, and probably causing even more health problems with methanol tainted booze.
    So send off for your Distiller's Licence and make your own (for domestic use, of course). If you shell out for a modern £80 - £150 still you'll be fine anyway.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think the Scottish Government just sit about all day getting bluttered on cheap wine whilst coming up with stupid ideas.

All the major hassle in Glasgow is caused by teenagers who really only drink at the weekend and could probably handle the hike. The folk drinking themselves to death are all earners who can also handle the hike. It's a pointless law.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X