• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How clever are you compared to the rest of CUK?"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I wasn't sure what clever was so played safe and voted for the answer with the most votes.

p.s. being clever isn't very clever.

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    OK, I was making a point it's unlikely to average out to anything near what it should be, given the high egos. I realise we won't know that until everyone registered posts, and that is unlikely to happen. Having said that a sample of 30 usually appoximates to normality, so when we get there the result is likely to be similar to the whole population.

edit: we know have a population of 30 (not randomly selected) but 11 are in the top percentile.

Eh?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    What is intelligence anyway ?
    Remembering to ask your team members if they are eligible to enter the competition before the filming starts...

...Gail

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Is the correct answer, which I also voted as well.

The reason being that it would be statistically wrong to choose anything else.

By virtue of not having any reliable means of gauging the intelligence of others, the only thing you can correctly state with more reliability is that "other people are more intelligent than you".

Statistically speaking, a group of other people will always contain enough samples to confirm your statement.

However, by limiting yourself to saying that you are in the 1%, you effectively stack the odds of probability against yourself, because you are saying that out of a group of unknown size, you are within the top 1%.

The odds on such a statement are not as favourable as the more people are intelligent than me odds.

Sally, you chose wisely :-)

I bet the 1%'ers are kicking themselves now
    Oh dear...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Sally Anne posted : I voted "below average
    Is the correct answer, which I also voted as well.

The reason being that it would be statistically wrong to choose anything else.

By virtue of not having any reliable means of gauging the intelligence of others, the only thing you can correctly state with more reliability is that "other people are more intelligent than you".

Statistically speaking, a group of other people will always contain enough samples to confirm your statement.

However, by limiting yourself to saying that you are in the 1%, you effectively stack the odds of probability against yourself, because you are saying that out of a group of unknown size, you are within the top 1%.

The odds on such a statement are not as favourable as the more people are intelligent than me odds.

Sally, you chose wisely :-)

I bet the 1%'ers are kicking themselves now

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I voted "below average"

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I ticked the top 1% option.

Because I'm not clever enough to count higher than one.

Leave a comment:

• deckster
    replied
    I'm just surprised that anybody voted for anything other than the 'top 1%' option. I thought an unshakeable belief on ones own superiority was a required personality trait for a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    And the chances of people lying are how big?
    The chance that you are lying is high too. And therefore the chance that they are lying is not big?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Shouldn't we just state our normal day rates? After all the really clever members will be able to charge 500+ a day ? I've not yet gone above 250, so I must qualify as the Dim option.
    And the chances of people lying are how big?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Just spent 8 hours on a bug.

Probably the bottom 1%.
    that depends - if it was a really really difficult bug it might have taken the other 99% of people 80 hours to fix!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    the poll IS meaningless...

those who want to be clever will put themselves in the top 1%
    That's the whole point... it's as much a measure of arrogance as anything else.

By "crowd" I mean those who actually post here, not really % of the X thousand registered members who never say anything.

And yes, I meant to make it a public poll but was too dumb to remember

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Just spent 8 hours on a bug.

Probably the bottom 1%.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Welcome to the poll.
    DOH!