• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question about demolishing a house and rebuilding"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    There was a similar move in the the stockbroker belt in Liverpool a fair while ago. We got the Germans in to do the demolition, which went fine, but some idiot built Bootle by mistake

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    There has been a fashion for your idea in the stock broker belt of south manchester. Either buying large houses with grounds and building flats OR knocking down 1930s style large detached houses and replacing them with footballer style tat. I believe Ole Gunnar Solskear is currently trying to do the latest football style tat i.e. an eco house. The local authorities are not best pleased.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    Where's the unacceptable risk? All I can think is that planning permission refusal will dramatically decrease the value of the plot. Something that concerns me too as I want to do a self build soon.

Bloody hard to find a half decent plot though!
    I'm not looking to buy a plot of land and seek permission to build, I'm looking to buy a house with land and seek permission to demolish the existing house and replace it with a modern, contemporary house.

I guess I'm making the assumption that it is easier to get permission to replace an existing house than it is to get permission to build on land where no house exists at the moment (e.g a plot with a barn on it or such like).

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    For example, buying something like this at a knockdown price, applying for planning to demolish and rebuild and put something contemporary and chock full of eco-features in it's place.

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...id/CWEG1728102

Is it worth taking the risk, buying and hoping I'd get the green light to demolish and replace or are there too many chances of refusal?
    Where's the unacceptable risk? All I can think is that planning permission refusal will dramatically decrease the value of the plot. Something that concerns me too as I want to do a self build soon.

Bloody hard to find a half decent plot though!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I keep hearing adverts for www.planningportal.gov.uk don't know if that's any use to you - it certainly isn't to me.
    Thanks, that looks useful. And I didn't know you can apply online or that your don't have to own the land you wish to apply on.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I keep hearing adverts for www.planningportal.gov.uk don't know if that's any use to you - it certainly isn't to me.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    If it's in Swindon, you get extra points for all adjacent properties demolished...

Even if they're 5 miles away...

Collateral Damage

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    For example, buying something like this at a knockdown price, applying for planning to demolish and rebuild and put something contemporary and chock full of eco-features in it's place.

Is it worth taking the risk, buying and hoping I'd get the green light to demolish and replace or are there too many chances of refusal?
    You can get planning permission for land you don't own. Also you can contact your local planning department and talk to a planning officer about you plans. They are usually happy to give you an idea of what is acceptable and not.

You could then get Outline planning permission, which just says "A four bed house to replace the existing 3 bed" etc. Then if that is ok, proceed to a more detailed application.

If you put a planning application in, and it looks like it is going to be rejected, you can withdraw it before it is rejected. This saves the plot getting a "Red flag" against it, and saves you paying for another planning request.

HomeBuilding&Renovation magazine is really good, and has loads of useful information about planning.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Will you be trying to get on Grand Designs...?!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I thought you were the resident board property expert, DimBeeny.
    Morks!

Man N o r ks

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    If I were to buy a house on a large (multi-acre) plot, what are the chances of getting planning permission to demolish it and rebuild a modern house?

Is this a formality or likelyhood a no-way?

I'm not talking about a grade listed building in a conservation area.

Anyone any pointers in this direction.
    I thought you were the resident board property expert, DimBeeny.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    If you fondly imagine getting permission to build a mini-estate, forget it.
    Ah yes, someone once wanted to build 4 semis on a plot of land near me. My neighbours and I automatically objected, and got it knocked back.

None of us would have objected to a stone built bungalow, but the guy was too greedy and got nowt.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Look up the planning rules for the area the house is in, it's usually on t'internet, search for the UDP ( Urban Development Plan ) that are usually in place for 10 years at a time. There should be a map showing you what is greenbelt. Alternatively ring thm up.

If it's rural and in the greenbelt the usual rule is you can rebuild but it must be similar in style and they'll only allow you to increase the cubic metres upto a pretty puny limit. Sometimes the house itself might be non greenbelt and then you can start planning your footballers mansion.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    much better to torch the place and present them with a fait accompli - just remember to get the gas & leccy disconnected first
    HTH
    I knew a guy in Devon who had bought lots of places, knocked them down and built new place(s). He then bought an old, old place with preservation orders and the like, but was a bit of a dump in lots of land etc Within weeks there had been an accident and the place was burned to a crisp. (It had a thatch you see ) He then bulldozed the remains before anyone could get a look at it (How he got away with that I don't know) Also he just happened to be under-insured (but loaded)

He has now built a brand new character modern house there for him and his family in an idyllic location. Took a while to get the plans through, but he got there in the end.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X