• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When will the Doom be over?"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    seriously?

I think the 2012 buzz will lift us
    Dead cat bounce

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You mean BTL heroes like Judith and Fergus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fergus_and_Judith_Wilson

Oh Dear ™

Fergus Wilson predicts that prices will double every seven years and says the typical property he owns - a £200,000 two- to three-bed starter home - will cost £400,000 by 2013, £800,000 by 2020 and £1.6m by 2027.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 24 February 2009, 17:40.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Juxtapose these apocolypse scenarios with the tales of limitless wealth from BTL et al being posted just a few years ago.

There is something about human psyche that can't deal with steady, it has to be one extreem or the other. Fear/Greed, Panic/Ephoria, I wonder why this is?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    What actually happens if the world collapses? Outright anarchy or just back to basics?
    Get a shotgun licence. Learn to shoot.

Get a boat, learn to sail. Provision your boat for 5+ years. Find an island in the middle of nowhere - somewhere in the Falklands would be good - and stay there until you've created your own little society.

If the world goes to tulip, a lot of people are going to die.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I vote 2010. This will be a severe recession but not a depression.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You know what...putting another spin on things...if we're ALL totally and completely doomed....does it matter?

I mean, if suddenly ALL of us loose our jobs....if we ALL loose our nice cars, and we ALL run out of money....what happens?

We can't ALL live on the streets can we? Surely we'll all just live simpler lives?

What actually happens if the world collapses? Outright anarchy or just back to basics?

Maybe we should be investing in creating our own water supply, and veg patches, and chickens etc?
    Maybe we'd all learn to spell. Looser.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    You know what...putting another spin on things...if we're ALL totally and completely doomed....does it matter?

I mean, if suddenly ALL of us loose our jobs....if we ALL loose our nice cars, and we ALL run out of money....what happens?

We can't ALL live on the streets can we? Surely we'll all just live simpler lives?

Maybe we should be investing in creating our own water supply, and veg patches, and chickens etc?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    We're still really in the 20th century.

If you think about it, the 18th century lasted until the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, when the Napoleonic wars ended. Then the 19th century ended at the outbreak of WW1 in 1914.

So by my reckoning, the 20th century will end in a big punch up in around 2015.

But whether that will end the doom, or be just another pause on the way down is debatable. Guess it depends on how many people die, to put it bluntly, as this is ultimately about resources.

(Russia is already in really bad shape, and getting worse. A couple of sailors starved to death recently at the Pacific Fleet HQ in Vladivostok and several more have died of hyperthermia because they can't afford heating in the barracks! The military there are getting pretty fed up. And I shouldn't think China is much better.)
    Thanks for that really optimistic vision of the future.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Like I said. No upturn until 2015 at the earliest and that's being very optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    We're still really in the 20th century.

If you think about it, the 18th century lasted until the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, when the Napoleonic wars ended. Then the 19th century ended at the outbreak of WW1 in 1914.

So by my reckoning, the 20th century will end in a big punch up in around 2015.

But whether that will end the doom, or be just another pause on the way down is debatable. Guess it depends on how many people die, to put it bluntly, as this is ultimately about resources.

(Russia is already in really bad shape, and getting worse. A couple of sailors starved to death recently at the Pacific Fleet HQ in Vladivostok and several more have died of hyperthermia because they can't afford heating in the barracks! The military there are getting pretty fed up. And I shouldn't think China is much better.)

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So much stimulus is being pumped into the system that it will work sooner rather later (in about a year I reckon) - then we will have galloping inflation to worry about.
    yup - prepare for Zimbabwe economics. Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    then we will have galloping inflation to worry about.
    Well that'll at least take care of the mortgage. Glad my interest rate's fixed for 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    So much stimulus is being pumped into the system that it will work sooner rather later (in about a year I reckon) - then we will have galloping inflation to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You love it
    He does, you know... I think he just likes to pretend he doesn't

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Manchester was bad enoughh when Rangers visited
    You love it