• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bad Day at The Office"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yep it does not help however when you are half way through a project with BT and they start pulling the resources

Sometimes loseing resources can be a help, as said resources only slow meetings down with their endless "I have a doubt"

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Tony / Dave B

Interesting one. I've been watching BTGS lately and it seems to be almost running under a state of Administration after the Finance people were put in charge. I can see the logic in retraining existing permy staff and phasing them into contractor roles but to just wholesale dump hundreds of contractors and replace them with unqualified staff in the hope that the clients won't notice seems like commercial suicide.
    Yep it does not help however when you are half way through a project with BT and they start pulling the resources

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by dack View Post
    Real contractors go offshore and kiss the 24 month rule goodbye, accept 12 month renewals and use this to fund Plan B.
    You're stil a permie

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Real contractors go offshore and kiss the 24 month rule goodbye, accept 12 month renewals and use this to fund Plan B.
    Hang about, something doesn't add up here as you have already said your war chest is empty and that you haven't got a Plan B.

You've been in the Public Sector too long mate.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I've been checking jobserve and the only people who seem to be taking on are govt gigs - I was given my notice last night along with a ton of other contractors working at Global Services for BT
    Tony / Dave B

Interesting one. I've been watching BTGS lately and it seems to be almost running under a state of Administration after the Finance people were put in charge. I can see the logic in retraining existing permy staff and phasing them into contractor roles but to just wholesale dump hundreds of contractors and replace them with unqualified staff in the hope that the clients won't notice seems like commercial suicide.

Leave a comment:

• dack
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    7 years on one site = permie

Real contractors do 2 years max (end of expense rule)
    Besides, who wants to have been onsite longer than most permies?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    7 years on one site = permie

Real contractors do 2 years max (end of expense rule)
    Besides, who wants to have been onsite longer than most permies?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    that's when I started

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I've been checking jobserve and the only people who seem to be taking on are govt gigs - I was given my notice last night along with a ton of other contractors working at Global Services for BT
    That one has been on the cards for a while. I jumped ship from there 18 months ago when the were making the previous round of cuts.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    revolutionary product that I could produce and market on the cheap but yielded large profits.

Just gotta think up said product and I'm laughing.
    How about this idea?

Go around buying up all the debts in really downtrodden neighbourhoods and then package them together in an expensive envelope, pay an ‘independent’ body, possibly Moodys, S&P or Ronnie Biggs, to stamp ‘AAA Solid Gold investment’ on the envelope and sell them to people who know nothing about money, like banks, finance ministers and pension funds. Guaranteed millions.

Oh sorry there’s a catch here…

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Huge war chest, but wife and two kids found, opened it and spent it.
    Sounds familiar, I had a fairly long gov gig and my biggest regret was not squirreling away far more money than I did.

I’d spend the next few months brushing up on how the rest of the world operates if I were you, the private sector expects you to really work for the money... it was a big culture shock for me.

Leave a comment:

• dack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If I see your ice cream van anywhere near my patch, you’re in for it!
    Tis not the footsteps of Bannatyne that I'll be taking. Was thinking more along the lines of some sort of revolutionary product that I could produce and market on the cheap but yielded large profits.

Just gotta think up said product and I'm laughing.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    .. or maybe time to dust off Plan B ....
    If I see your ice cream van anywhere near my patch, you’re in for it!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    The real world is gonna be a bit of shock to the system, I've heard all sorts of horror stories like deadlines, profits and effiiciency.
    Well, from where I'm looking (a bank) the wonderful world of 'corporate enterprise' is no more efficient, and perhaps even crappier than government.

Deadlines; things which go 'whoosh' as they fly past
    Profits; things which used to happen but don't any more
    Efficiency; something which small diesel cars are good at, allegedly

Leave a comment:

Working...
X