• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question Time Last Night"

Collapse

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    You were referring to 'honest politicians' being an oxymoron and I was responding to that. There is no misrepresentation in that at all. How you can call that blatant misrepresentation ?
    You quoted me "Blah Blah"

You omitted
    They were killing "Our Guys". The Belgrano had the potential to attack us.
    "We" stopped it!

You quoted me "Blah Blah"

ie You cut out a big chunk of what I said.... and then "argued" with the gist of what you had quoted.

You didn't in your "quote" indicate that you were paraphrasing what I said in order to concentrate on a particular point (that you disagreed with).

Deliberately cutting out a (pertinent) block of text/meaning (without acknowledgement) meets my definition of blatant misrepresentation....

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Strictly speaking, Cyber started it by talking about 'feathering their nests'. But that could include Major feathering Edwina's nest I suppose.

I don't think the word means corrupt. Literally it means cheap, vulgar and tasteless, which I always thought was a reference to snouts in the trough but not against the law. Jacqui Smith, that sort of thing.

Does sleaze include sexual pecadildoes as well? Even with classy birds?

.. and I thought that fiddling expenses was illegal. Silly me.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Doggy, I thought we were talking sleaze? I'm not fooled by any of them. Politicians are largely self serving scum.
    Strictly speaking, Cyber started it by talking about 'feathering their nests'. But that could include Major feathering Edwina's nest I suppose.

I don't think the word means corrupt. Literally it means cheap, vulgar and tasteless, which I always thought was a reference to snouts in the trough but not against the law. Jacqui Smith, that sort of thing.

Does sleaze include sexual pecadildoes as well? Even with classy birds?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Doggy, I thought we were talking sleaze? I'm not fooled by any of them. Politicians are largely self serving scum.

.. and I was standing up for the politicians with principles, who do actually exist in all parties. It is very unfair to taint every politician just because of an HMG that seem to have made a virtue out of their lies, deception and blatant fraud since 1997.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    If you quote me please try not to misrepresent me quite so blatently!

I think we were (originally) in semi-agreement

You were referring to 'honest politicians' being an oxymoron and I was responding to that. There is no misrepresentation in that at all. How you can call that blatant misrepresentation ?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I don't know, wasn't married Major shagging married Currie while Prime minister, and telling us all we should get back to moralistic family basics?
    How is that feathering his own nest?

Anyway, he deserved a peerage for that.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I don't know, wasn't married Major shagging married Currie while Prime minister, and telling us all we should get back to moralistic family basics?

If you believe there is much honesty on either side, you are as daft as cyber Tory looks.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I could reel off a lot more from HMG, and don't forget the recent Lords debacle of cash for changes to the Law.
    Some of the scum have even returned to cabinet, such as Mandelson and Blunkett. The Labour front bench really are a lowly bunch, and if it starts there, you can quite safely bet that duplicity runs throughout their ranks.

Why are they so against public scrutiny of expenses I wonder!!
    Add to that Hain and his dodgy donations and Smith with her 2nd home expenses being spent on her 1st home bills. The difference between a lot of the Tory sleaze merchants and this lot are that in a number of cases the Tory ones were relatively unknown back benchers rather than cabinet ministers and when found out they had a tendancy to step down.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
    And...

Graham Riddick
    David Tredinnick
    Neil Hamilton
    Jonathan Aitken
    Derick Conway

...not trying to say the Tory's are any worse than labour for these sort of Shenanigans, but you do seem to look at things with Blue tinted spectacles!

I could reel off a lot more from HMG, and don't forget the recent Lords debacle of cash for changes to the Law.
    Some of the scum have even returned to cabinet, such as Mandelson and Blunkett. The Labour front bench really are a lowly bunch, and if it starts there, you can quite safely bet that duplicity runs throughout their ranks.

Why are they so against public scrutiny of expenses I wonder!!

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    The Tories have had a few, but nothing like Labour, with names such as Archer and Parkinson springing to mind.
    And...

Graham Riddick
    David Tredinnick
    Neil Hamilton
    Jonathan Aitken
    Derick Conway
    David Mellor

...not trying to say the Tory's are any worse than labour for these sort of Shenanigans, but you do seem to look at things with Blue tinted spectacles!
    Last edited by TheBigD; 20 February 2009, 14:04.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I don't have a mind.
    I takes liberties
    If you quote me please try not to misrepresent me quite so blatently!

I think we were (originally) in semi-agreement

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I agree about the oxy-moron

I don't agree, because not all politicians are 'feathering their nests'. There are politicians with principles such as Robin Cook, Tony Benn, Michael Heseltine, Margaret Thatcher, William Hague, Ken Clarke etc.

Unfortunately for the current HMG, most of the principled variety tend to be on the Tory side. Blair, Brown, Mandelson, Blunkett, Jowell, Harman, Straw, and Jackie Smith to name just a few, have all been caught out for being somewhat less than honest. Then of course we had Robert Maxwell, a couple of decades ago !!

The Tories have had a few, but nothing like Labour, with names such as Archer and Parkinson springing to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

I am not "sure" we were/are particularly justified in claiming the Falklands as "ours" or that we should have spent millions sending a Task Force or even that "war" is justified - but given that those decisions had been made "shooting" the Belgrano was "right"

The fact of whether the Falklands was ours or not was immaterial. The citizens on the Falklands were British and deserved our support. If you let a country just march in and take your territory, don't be surprised when another country takes liberties, such as Spain over Gibraltar.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Honesty in Politics now there is an Oxy-Moron (as opposed to a CyberMoron)

The sinking of the Belgrano in May 1982 remains one of the most controversial aspects of the Falklands conflict: more than 300 members of the crew died when the submarine Conqueror torpedoed it.

Margaret Thatcher, then Prime Minister, defended the decision to sink the vessel and dismissed claims that it was outside and heading away from a 200-mile exclusion zone which had been imposed around the Falklands by the British.

However the "Rules of Engagement" never said "We won't shoot them if they don't come within 200 miles"......

They were killing "Our Guys". The Belgrano had the potential to attack us.
    "We" stopped it!

I am not "sure" we were/are particularly justified in claiming the Falklands as "ours" or that we should have spent millions sending a Task Force or even that "war" is justified - but given that those decisions had been made "shooting" the Belgrano was "right"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X