• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Grand designs - Kent"

Collapse

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    So would I.

He said that he generated excess "heat" that he could sell. Who the hell to?

to the OP. The house had solar panels. Presumably they generared extra electricity, but 1800 pounds of it still seems an awful lot.

tim
    Did they have wind turbines & PV panels too? If the house was super-insulated and had lots of low-voltage fittings, they could certainly have generated a surplus. Wind at night generating power which isn't being drawn off / solar during the day when they're out, etc.

They must have spent a few quid overspeccing the tech to be satisfying all their needs and clearing £150 per month on average though.

I look forward to watching it later.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    You did call me a nutter though

I am passionate about bringing up my children to the best of my ability and despise the selfishness of many parents. There was a report recently condemning the trend for British parents to put their own needs before their children's and I have to agree that while in the minority of parents, it's a growing trend.

Just winds me up.
    Best not watch SuperNanny then!

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    One of the best I've seen, I'd like to see a breakdown of how he came to the -£1800 heating/electricity bill though?
    So would I.

He said that he generated excess "heat" that he could sell. Who the hell to?

to the OP. The house had solar panels. Presumably they generared extra electricity, but 1800 pounds of it still seems an awful lot.

tim

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

I am passionate about bringing up my children to the best of my ability and despise the selfishness of many parents. There was a report recently condemning the trend for British parents to put their own needs before their children's and I have to agree that while in the minority of parents, it's a growing trend.

Just winds me up.
    You have 106 posts and you have not learnt yet that general is inhabited mostly by trolls?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The guy wasn’t a hippie, as an architect he just wanted to build a house with green credentials… and a girt big arch made from terracotta tiles for whatever reason??

Now all he needs to do is design one with similar technology that Redrow can throw up for 50k, energy crises sorted.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's no wonder practically all children seem to have asthma or allergies or intolerences these days - partly a soft environment gives them no chance to toughen up, and partly we are deliberately sabotaging natural selection... modern medicine coupled with over-protective upbringing means even the runt of the litter can be kept alive long enough to pass on their lackluster genes.

And no I don't advocate killing weedy children, but while I'm deliberately playing devil's advocate I think there is a serious issue, albeit hugely emotive.
    Bring em up tough. 5th birthday, boxing gloves.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's no wonder practically all children seem to have asthma or allergies or intolerences these days - partly a soft environment gives them no chance to toughen up, and partly we are deliberately sabotaging natural selection... modern medicine coupled with over-protective upbringing means even the runt of the litter can be kept alive long enough to pass on their lackluster genes.

And no I don't advocate killing weedy children, but while I'm deliberately playing devil's advocate I think there is a serious issue, albeit hugely emotive.

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Calm down dear! It's only CUK ramblings.

Don't forget the jumbo pack of cotton wool to wrap them in.

Just winds me up.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Thanks, I've put forward my points of view about raising children, widely supported by other parents and the medical recommendations made by the NHS and the government helath bodies.

You have put forward abuse.

No probs, thanks for coming.
    You're welcome, anytime.

Our door's always open, but not long enough for the damp to become a problem.

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    What on earth are you babbling on about?!

You couldn't possible plug in a few electric heaters for such an eventuality? You can pick them up for about £20 each at B&Q.

How quickly are you expecting damp to run riot throughout your house?
    Taking my comments out of context, I'm not suggesting a boiler fault would lead instantly to damp and problems. The two paragraphs are seperate.

Maybe I would get heaters from B&Q, not the point. You suggest replacing one heater with another which reinforces the point that heat is essential.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Thanks, I've put forward my points of view about raising children, widely supported by other parents and the medical recommendations made by the NHS and the government helath bodies.

Calm down dear! It's only CUK ramblings.

Don't forget the jumbo pack of cotton wool to wrap them in.

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Yes I do. My youngest is 7 months old and has a nasty cold and cough. If the heating were to pack up I would send her and her mum off to her Grandma's to stay until I repaired it.

Do you actually know anything about children? Do you know how quickly a fever can turn nasty and consume a child within hours? Do you know that damp can lead to respiratory problems affecting development affecting the child for the rest of their lives?

I don't know what to say other than that I am absolutely dedicated to my children. Yes I consider heating fundamental to their welfare.
    What on earth are you babbling on about?!

You couldn't possible plug in a few electric heaters for such an eventuality? You can pick them up for about £20 each at B&Q.

How quickly are you expecting damp to run riot throughout your house?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes I do. My youngest is 7 months old and has a nasty cold and cough. If the heating were to pack up I would send her and her mum off to her Grandma's to stay until I repaired it.

Do you actually know anything about children? Do you know how quickly a fever can turn nasty and consume a child within hours? Do you know that damp can lead to respiratory problems affecting development affecting the child for the rest of their lives?

I don't know what to say other than that I am absolutely dedicated to my children. Yes I consider heating fundamental to their welfare.
    Is it me or does London75 sound a bit of a nutter?

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X