• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to justify a pay increase?"

Collapse

• Another Dodgy Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me when people become contractors that some still retain the 'permie' mindset. You know, the pay rise every 12 months, the 9 - 5 work regime, the 4 weeks or more 'bookrd' holidays etc, etc.

I can sympathise with the OP but surely it was posted tongue in cheek!? I mean a pay rise in the current climate (not impossible but very rare). And needing extra income because of family!? Hmmmmmmmmm!

Next thing you know they'll be 'opting in'!

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Isn't this obvious?

Surely the market dictates the rate (to a point). If your skills are in demand then that's great. If on the other hand there is oversupply then clients will have a larger pool to pick from and can force rates down. In this current climate I'd say that there will be an oversupply of most skills.

Good luck with the rate increase.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    In my experience you have to get another higher paying contract offer, then tell agent to up your rate or F.O.
    Any more subtle approach is usually doomed to failure depending on skills, market conditions of course.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Never ceases to amaze me when people become contractors that some still retain the 'permie' mindset. You know, the pay rise every 12 months, the 9 - 5 work regime, the 4 weeks or more 'bookrd' holidays etc, etc.

I can sympathise with the OP but surely it was posted tongue in cheek!? I mean a pay rise in the current climate (not impossible but very rare). And needing extra income because of family!? Hmmmmmmmmm!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Unless your client's decision-maker has a soft spot for babies. Businesses like to think they are cold and rational but few of them really are.
    WHS

Cold and rational are not traits of any business I've ever experienced.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Unless your client's decision-maker has a soft spot for babies. Businesses like to think they are cold and rational but few of them really are.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    So would you charge £25/day if that was your current spending needs, regardless of the going rate.

First, get real, look at your market rate and worth to the client and if more than current rate, AND you are prepared to walk, politely demand increase at renewal.

PS: Having Babies has got f-all to do with your rate.
    Harsh, but spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs. As my workload hasn't changed how do I ask for an increase to my hourly rate?
    So would you charge £25/day if that was your current spending needs, regardless of the going rate.

First, get real, look at your market rate and worth to the client and if more than current rate, AND you are prepared to walk, politely demand increase at renewal.

PS: Having Babies has got f-all to do with your rate.
    Last edited by Turion; 17 February 2009, 19:52. Reason: PS

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    The problem is, as my wife gave birth a month ago, I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs
    Surely you should base your rates on the Business Needs of the Client.

Not your own, personal family needs ?

What has that got to do with the Client ?

Unless of course, they were responsible for your wife's conception.

Other than that, you are seriously going to ask for a pay rise because you got your wife up the duff and need a bit extra for the baaaaybeee ?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Yeah, well. It really annoys me that people start contracting, earn twice as much and immediately up their spending to the new income.

Why do they think it is that contractors get paid twice as much?

tim
    I thought it was to feed my obsession for sports cars and nice toys...

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Yeah, well. It really annoys me that people start contracting, earn twice as much and immediately up their spending to the new income.

tim
    Yes I understand Tim. It annoys me too. I don't think it's a habit peculiar to contractors though.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Ahh! Nothing like a few words of encouragement and optimism, eh?

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by landl View Post
    In the current economic climate, I think you'd have a tough time convincing a client to raise the rate. Perhaps if you hunted around for an equivalent position being advertised elsewhere at a higher rate, that might be a justification.
    I don't think "avertised" helps much.

Every week or so I'm seeing a (different) job advertised at 20% above the rate offered by all the others.

I replied to one, it was a bogus CV trawl.

tim

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Boy, you're gonna be in sh*t street if the grim job chopper comes your way.

tim
    Ahh! Nothing like a few words of encouragement and optimism, eh?

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post

The problem is, as my wife gave birth a month ago, I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs.
    Boy, you're gonna be in sh*t street if the grim job chopper comes your way.

tim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X