• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to justify a pay increase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Yeah, well. It really annoys me that people start contracting, earn twice as much and immediately up their spending to the new income.

Why do they think it is that contractors get paid twice as much?

tim
    I thought it was to feed my obsession for sports cars and nice toys...

Comment

The problem is, as my wife gave birth a month ago, I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs
      Surely you should base your rates on the Business Needs of the Client.

Not your own, personal family needs ?

What has that got to do with the Client ?

Unless of course, they were responsible for your wife's conception.

Other than that, you are seriously going to ask for a pay rise because you got your wife up the duff and need a bit extra for the baaaaybeee ?
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
        I could use a little extra as I generally base my rates on current needs. As my workload hasn't changed how do I ask for an increase to my hourly rate?
        So would you charge £25/day if that was your current spending needs, regardless of the going rate.

First, get real, look at your market rate and worth to the client and if more than current rate, AND you are prepared to walk, politely demand increase at renewal.

PS: Having Babies has got f-all to do with your rate.
        Last edited by Turion; 17 February 2009, 19:52. Reason: PS

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          So would you charge £25/day if that was your current spending needs, regardless of the going rate.

First, get real, look at your market rate and worth to the client and if more than current rate, AND you are prepared to walk, politely demand increase at renewal.

PS: Having Babies has got f-all to do with your rate.
          Harsh, but spot on.

Comment

Unless your client's decision-maker has a soft spot for babies. Businesses like to think they are cold and rational but few of them really are.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              Unless your client's decision-maker has a soft spot for babies. Businesses like to think they are cold and rational but few of them really are.
              WHS

Cold and rational are not traits of any business I've ever experienced.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Never ceases to amaze me when people become contractors that some still retain the 'permie' mindset. You know, the pay rise every 12 months, the 9 - 5 work regime, the 4 weeks or more 'bookrd' holidays etc, etc.

I can sympathise with the OP but surely it was posted tongue in cheek!? I mean a pay rise in the current climate (not impossible but very rare). And needing extra income because of family!? Hmmmmmmmmm!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

In my experience you have to get another higher paying contract offer, then tell agent to up your rate or F.O.
                  Any more subtle approach is usually doomed to failure depending on skills, market conditions of course.
                  Bored.

Comment

Isn't this obvious?

Surely the market dictates the rate (to a point). If your skills are in demand then that's great. If on the other hand there is oversupply then clients will have a larger pool to pick from and can force rates down. In this current climate I'd say that there will be an oversupply of most skills.

Good luck with the rate increase.
                    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Never ceases to amaze me when people become contractors that some still retain the 'permie' mindset. You know, the pay rise every 12 months, the 9 - 5 work regime, the 4 weeks or more 'bookrd' holidays etc, etc.

I can sympathise with the OP but surely it was posted tongue in cheek!? I mean a pay rise in the current climate (not impossible but very rare). And needing extra income because of family!? Hmmmmmmmmm!

Next thing you know they'll be 'opting in'!
                      I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Working...
                      X