• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Identity Theft

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Identity Theft"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    That's certainly NOT anyone from this forum mate, because nobody who knows you, provided they are sane, would want to take your identity...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    The sad thing, and I do hope you lot remember this come the elections, is that the government is doing a light brigade style charge to introduce id-cards.
    I had a letter from the Home Office last week inviting me to apply for an ID card. It extolled the virtues of getting one quite clearly.

Or I think it did - if it hadn't gone straight through the shredder, I'd be able to check.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    The sad thing, and I do hope you lot remember this come the elections, is that the government is doing a light brigade style charge to introduce id-cards.

In their efforts to make everyone feel they absolutely have to have these cards the government are removing funding from the Police to investigate identity theft.

Of course it isn't that obvious, a cut here, a reallocation of funds there, a post left unfilled for a little longer than usual. The overall effect though, I can assure you, is quite intentional...

So, if you're struck by identity theft, just look on it as your patriotic duty: you're helping to further government policy.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Don't let the plod know it is you or how you obtained the information, because it sounds like you've committed at least two offences there chummy, and they know where you live.

HTH

He's right. They would clear up two crimes immediately, bless 'em.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I know some boys, who know some boys..... if you need to know!

You would. I bet they are not British workers !!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Don't let the plod know it is you or how you obtained the information, because it sounds like you've committed at least two offences there chummy, and they know where you live.

HTH

I aint dun nuffink wrong officer.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Let the Police carry on but give them the information you have got. Try Crimestoppers for an anonymous tip off.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Crikey - even my boys might avoid that!
    You can guarantee the police will avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Stuff it. Got all the details on the occupants of the address. Good old irish names.

Doing a search using checkbiz! (remember the dodgy site with the wildcard search), everyone who lives around them is Asian.

Methinks me smells curry!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Actually, I phoned up a couple of good ole boys I know and they were like 'right give us the address'.

When I did, they went. Nah, I'd call the police, we know the road. Eastern European red light district.

Nice.
    Crikey - even my boys might avoid that!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Actually, I phoned up a couple of good ole boys I know and they were like 'right give us the address'.

When I did, they went. Nah, I'd call the police, we know the road. Eastern European red light district.

Nice.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So, not long after having some scroat apply for three credit cards in my name which I managed to stop. I planned to set up a new mail redirect.

Oh no! The same scroat had beaten me to it.

So somebody pretending to be me, using my identity and utility bills in my name strolls into a post office and pays for a redirect.

I have of course phoned the post office and had it stopped and subsequently phoned the police ,who are now 'investigating'.

So I ask the Post Office for the address and they site, Data Protection Act. So I try a couple of times with no luck. Finally I head down to the sorting office with an official looking letter saying 'Identity Fraud' on it,just to let them know more than anything and they...... well they give me the forwarding address.

So I now know where the scroat is planning on having the mail sent, a lovely address in down town Walthamstow, a particularly rough part of the neighbourhood according to a mate who worked in the area.

So do I

a) Let the police carry on
    b) Head up to the address in London and bang on the door
    c) Send some boys around
    d) I am AndyW
    Give the evidence to the police. That is the truth. Let them go and arrest the guy. You don't know how big the crime might be. Once they have arrested and charged the guy, pretend to be Andyw for a week and be happy. But seriously, give it to the police.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Let the Police carry on but give them the information you have got. Try Crimestoppers for an anonymous tip off.

Sorry to say this probably won't do any good so I'd start thinking of ways to make life as difficult as possible for the guy without getting yourself arrested. I have a couple of suggestions to get you started

- give his name, address and any phone numbers you have to all the debt collectors you can find. If he's screwed you over he'll have done it to other people and hopefully they'll harass him to death
    - pass on his details to the credit card companies?

Hope you nail the little bar steward

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    option (c)

£800 to get the job done according to the metro this morning
    I know some boys, who know some boys..... if you need to know!

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    option (c)

£800 to get the job done according to the metro this morning

Leave a comment:

Working...
X