• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Odd question from Clientco"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    In my first contract they asked me if I wanted to go permie and I decided to, just for the interest free loan plus the moeny was basically the same as being a contractor. Left after paying the loan off.

I did a 6 month contract down Munich way a time ago and they kept on and on at me to join them as a permie. At least once a month I would be called into the bosses office for a kind of interview and them pleading me to join them. As it was, I was offered an extension which I turned down as I could'nt wait to get out of there. They did have a whip round for me when I left and got a me a little gift and a bottle of champagne, not bad for a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I'd be swayed for: -

(1) Whatever permie wage let me come out with £3k per month AFTER tax (what would that be?)
    (2) 2 days working from home per week. (Working from home is VERY important to me).
    (3) Assuming I got (2), then 5 weeks holidays would do really.
    (4) Pension & Bupa.
    (1) Check - and then some.
    (2) Whenever I like, within reason.
    (3) 7 weeks
    (4) yep, yep, plus dental, preferential account rates, and all sorts of gubbins, including training.

Crucially - would have to be <= 1 month notice period.

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Totally agree, I just don’t want the responsibility.

I’d much rather keep beavering away on a contract rate for more money than a lead tech perm role with all the baggage that comes with it.

My life ambitions have very little to do with work.
    I'm doing it now on a 6 month contract, and did it for 2 years as a permie. Last day of this gig, they offered me an extension and i said no ta !

Start next gig on Monday, this time some other poor muppet is getting to spend 6 months on endless conf calls !

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I’d much rather keep beavering away on a contract rate for more money than a lead tech perm role with all the baggage that comes with it.

are you really me GJ?? this is getting spooky!

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    For me it would be something like the following

90K (at least)
    Company car allowance
    Based from home (or at least 2 days a week)
    Pension
    Healthcare

Also would have to be something that interests me, which would probably be something to do with Open Source.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Stolly View Post
    Having done that in the past i can say that sometimes its better to be down in the trenches with the cannon fodder.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    For me the answer would be "a technical lead position".

tim
    It is what I am doing for them now.

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post

tim
    Having done that in the past i can say that sometimes its better to be down in the trenches with the cannon fodder.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I was asked the question when I started here, I asked what the salary would be? The boss just said “about half what you get now… but there are other benefits” needless to say he didn’t really sell it to me enough.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Agree - but than everyone has a price to move to Perm - even a contractor if the role would suit and above all you get a decent rate after tax in the account.

Tempted to throw in a figure for indication.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    at that rate you would be the boss?
    And they'd better not forget it

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    8 Weeks holiday a year
    Full healthcare & dental
    Ability to tell boss to go **** himself whenever it's needed.
    at that rate you would be the boss?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

No way?!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

(1) Whatever permie wage let me come out with £3k per month AFTER tax (what would that be?)
    A mere 52K a year...

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied

(2) 2 days working from home per week. (Working from home is VERY important to me).
    (3) Assuming I got (2), then 5 weeks holidays would do really.
    (4) Pension & Bupa.
    I see where you are coming from on this.

Agree with number 2 as well - to me its massive - as it allows me to spend time with the kids -get little more sleep and above all acually work more efficient and focused.

I negotiated with them before I signed that Id need to work from home 1 or 2 days as its a 180 mile round trip - and I cant do that every day. They didnt have an issue with that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X