• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Even if I do say Jehovah"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    These old jokes come up periodically

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYW50...eature=related
    I suppose it had the elements of a joke.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Now that - is what I call a classical education.

I have only met one contemporary of mine who could quote the Books of the Bible in Order - not the King James version - whichi ( for reasons I have never understood ) - omitted The Book of Tobias - a profound aspect of the Bible.
    What about The Book of Cyril?

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I think these boards are populated with a load of ex/lapsed catholics. ( What is the collective noun for such? )
    A Heresy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Bore-on...

These old jokes come up periodically

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYW50...eature=related

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Crikey - I went to a convent and even we didn't have to do that!!
    No, we didn't officially have to, but I got one old spinster teacher who was shocked that we could not recite them, and made us learn while she tutted about the quality of RE teaching these days....

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Oh, hang on, I can do that. er...

Hydrogen
    Helium
    Lithium

IGMC
    Bore-on...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I went to one where RE was compulsory and it was Christian. I even had one RE teacher who thought it was important for everyone to know by heart the names of the books of the bible in order, and spent ages having us memorise them.
    Oh, hang on, I can do that. er...

Hydrogen
    Helium
    Lithium

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I went to one where RE was compulsory and it was Christian. I even had one RE teacher who thought it was important for everyone to know by heart the names of the books of the bible in order, and spent ages having us memorise them.
    Crikey - I went to a convent and even we didn't have to do that!!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I think these boards are populated with a load of ex/lapsed catholics. ( What is the collective noun for such? )
    A genuflection?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Blimey, RE was compulsory for us but we didn't have to remember that. It would have been handy in some quizzes I've been to though. I enjoyed the bible stories and parables.

I remember drawing a bloke sitting in a sycamore tree when I was eight, and getting house points for it.

I think it's still compulsory today but only for a few years. Kids now learn about several major religions*. I reckon it's a good part of my kids' education about different peoples.

*Not the giant alien lizard religion - what's it called? Kirkism is it?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...parton saint ...
    that'd be dolly.

...I happen to know the above as . many years ago . I had a vision and encounter with the ArchAngel Raphael in a disused chruch - but that was a long time ago when I was down and out in London.
    And what was the result of this visitation?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'll hazard that most went to a C of E school with a Nativity play every Christmas (at primary level) and a hymn in the morning ?
    I would think so. In my case it was non-denominational, which meant that "normal" was Church of Scotland. Hymns in the morning were normal, though they were woven into assembly announcements so that you couldn't opt out. A generation ago much of Britain, I'd guess, was effectively monocultural.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My guess was wrong... I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Protestant Bibles don't have the Book of Tobias because it isn't considered to be scripture. The catholics, AIUI, also do not consider it scripture, but think it's ok to be one of the books included in the bible, useful for teaching, but not scripture.
    Furthermore - as the Book of Tobias was part of the old testament it was also considered a Jewish Wisdom Book.

Noteworthy in this context is the appearance of the Archangel Raphael who manifests as Tobin's companion - and is actually his protector.

The ArchAngel Raphael is considered to be the Archangel closest to human beings - also noted as being a Healer (his name is from Hebrew - he whom hath healed) and is the parton saint of Travelers and Europa.

I happen to know the above as . many years ago . I had a vision and encounter with the ArchAngel Raphael in a disused chruch - but that was a long time ago when I was down and out in London.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Whereas Oracleslave and Expat may have gone to religiously conservative dogmatic schools, I'd hazard a guess that the majority of us didn't
    I'll hazard that most went to a C of E school with a Nativity play every Christmas (at primary level) and a hymn in the morning ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X