• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First day, nothing to do"

Collapse

• Drewster
    replied
    Hello Zippy and Bob....... Its a great life isn't it?

In addition to - CM, Change, Problem, Build, Test, Deployment, CCB, Environment, ITIL, CMMi etc do you also keep preaching "Role Segregation".. I do!!!

Well OK - It pays the bills........

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    client co managers often want a backside on the seat whether you are doing anything or not

does this make you more likely to be caught by IR35, probably!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Are you familiar with their test policies?
    No test policies. "We have some testers over there."
    No testers

What is the process for integrating code into a build?
    Edit files on the live server

Have you been introduced to the relevant people in test, configuration management, production?
    Yes, her name is Zippy

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied

Are you familiar with their coding standards?
    One look at the code was indication there, and never have been, any no coding standards...

Have you read and made notes on all existing design documents?
    Given some docs, told they were 5 years out of date. Useless.

Copy loads of apparently unrelated files up to the servers that only Bob knows how to do.

How do they do deployments to test and pre-production environments?
    See above.

Do you fully understand the data model?
    No coherent model. Ad-hoc SQL, Hashtables etc.

Have you been introduced to the relevant people in test, configuration management, production?
    Yes. His name is Bob.

Do you have required logins to source control, CM repositories, document management systems, Intranet etc?
    No. Will take a few weeks, if you're lucky.

Sometimes it's better not to ask. Just spend your time on CUK until you're asked to do something.
    Can you see me waving?

- Bob

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    On my first contract I thought I'd better work really hard.

I completed the 3 month project on day one. It was a while back and involved turning a single user Access Db into a 10-20 user intranet site.

I then spent 18 months on the same contract as all the other 25 business units at client co also had an Access Db that they wanted to use across their intranet. Each one took me about a day.

I quit after the 18 months as I could no longer think of anything work safe to Google.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Well, this thread makes me feel a little better.

Day 2, no login to system. So far have built a new PC and discovered the core build does not support the PC I was given so it doesn't work!!

Worst bit is that no PC = no internet and my 3G mobile does not get a signal way out in the wild and windy sticks of West Byfleet.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    We all know there are a lot of client manager types who regard you as a temp and expect you to behave just like one of the other drones. It can go down very badly if you deliberately act in a provocative manner. Nothing really wrong per se with that, but now isn't the best time to play the "I'm a contractor so I don't give a stuff what you think" card now is it? Self preservation is the order of the day ATM I feel.

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    I agree, that should be acceptable (and wanted to do that so many times at the start of current contract where i was just sat around) BUT the lad i was working with did that same thing a few times, just went home and said to phone him when they had some work. Fair enough, but went down really badly with the Manager and in the end she phoned up his agency and told them to tell him not to bother coming back. So even though the way you put it above sounds fair, clientco can see it differently.

All depends how you write your contracts I guess. Ours are written in such a way that if there is no work, we are not obliged to attend site, however if we are asked to attend daily & there is no work, it is chargable. Neither is the client obliged to provide work for us to do.

Guess it depends if the OP accepted a standard agency contract or, more sensibly, has a standard one of their own...

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
    If there is no work to do, go home.

To use an example from elsewhere on thread...you wouldn't get a plasterer in to plaster a building with no walls & expect him to sit on his arse whilst you built them, would you?

I started a contract a few weeks back & on the first day they sat me in a meeting room with coffee - after an hour of waiting I just said my goodbyes & said we'd try again tomorrow when they could find their staff...invoiced them & was paid.
    I agree, that should be acceptable (and wanted to do that so many times at the start of current contract where i was just sat around) BUT the lad i was working with did that same thing a few times, just went home and said to phone him when they had some work. Fair enough, but went down really badly with the Manager and in the end she phoned up his agency and told them to tell him not to bother coming back. So even though the way you put it above sounds fair, clientco can see it differently.

Leave a comment:

• TheVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
    Day 1 of new contract:

3 Coffees, and guy with the copy of visual studio isnt in until tomorrow.

So Im reverting to standard net surfing, but feel quilty bunking off on the first day, should I?
    If there is no work to do, go home.

To use an example from elsewhere on thread...you wouldn't get a plasterer in to plaster a building with no walls & expect him to sit on his arse whilst you built them, would you?

I started a contract a few weeks back & on the first day they sat me in a meeting room with coffee - after an hour of waiting I just said my goodbyes & said we'd try again tomorrow when they could find their staff...invoiced them & was paid.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied

You mean you havent checked out all the servers and located their SMS goodies repository yet? Tut tut.

Leave a comment:

• jkoder
    replied
    Day 1 of new contract:

So Im reverting to standard net surfing, but feel quilty bunking off on the first day, should I?

excuse the rubbish typing, theyve given me a french laptop and i cant find all the buttons, grrrr.
    You should be reading documentation and analysing the code base and database schema.

Bloody slacker!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied

One look at the code was indication there, and never have been, any no coding standards...

Given some docs, told they were 5 years out of date. Useless.

Copy loads of apparently unrelated files up to the servers that only Bob knows how to do.

See above.

No coherent model. Ad-hoc SQL, Hashtables etc.

Yes. His name is Bob.

Do you have required logins to source control, CM repositories, document management systems, Intranet etc?
    No. Will take a few weeks, if you're lucky.

Sometimes it's better not to ask. Just spend your time on CUK until you're asked to do something.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Fook me, there's loads you could be doing instead of nothing.

Wow a proud moment for the Pogle - I actually did all of that in the first two days I was here. Scary

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    WHS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X