• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: First Time Woes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Time Woes"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Alan, you have to consider your reputation. Permie jobs are not as secure as they were and you may find yourself contracting again in the very near future. If that happens you will need all the friends you can get and your ex employer would be a very good friend. There is absolutely no point in earning way more money than you need , thats just greed, so I think you have made the right call here. If they contact you, be polite and firmly tell them that you will do no more than ten hours a week unpaid and one weekend per month maximum. Ask them for a written reference and a testimonial saying what a god solid worker you are.
    good luck.

one born every minute

Sadly, true. Poor bugger.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by alanev View Post
    Hi to all, first time posting !

I've got a question and I'd appreciate some feed back

I got my first contract in September last year, working under an umbrella company,which was meant to run until the start of March of this year. At the start of the year, first day back, I was told that my contract would need to be terminated early,basically to save the company I was contracted to some money. They had made people redundant just before Xmas and then some more at the start of the year. Anyway, they cut 5 weeks of my due end date. This didnt bother me TOO much as I had had an offer of a permanent job after my contract had finished, so apart from the loss of money it didnt seem a big deal.
    A week before my contract was going to end they wanted the project I was working on to go live. As with any IT projects there were a few problems, but nothing too major, but on the last day of my contract they found a couple of major problems. I worked all weekend (this is AFTER my contract had finished) to fix them and I think I have sorted it out.
    I now start my new permanent job, but I'm concerned that I'm going to have the previous job contacting me all the time wanting me to fix problems,something that my boss there said he would do. I won't have the time what with starting the new job, so basically what is my legal standpoint, considering it was them that terminated the contract early?

I had some problems with the agency trying to get paid all the way through the contract, and from the start of this year was doing some stupid hours, at least 4 hours overtime a night and working all weekends, all for no pay, just to try and meet the project deadline, which they set, so I dont think I'll be trying contracting again for a while!

Many thanks,
    Alan
    Alan, you have to consider your reputation. Permie jobs are not as secure as they were and you may find yourself contracting again in the very near future. If that happens you will need all the friends you can get and your ex employer would be a very good friend. There is absolutely no point in earning way more money than you need , thats just greed, so I think you have made the right call here. If they contact you, be polite and firmly tell them that you will do no more than ten hours a week unpaid and one weekend per month maximum. Ask them for a written reference and a testimonial saying what a god solid worker you are.
    good luck.

one born every minute

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Jesus, they terminated the contract yet expect to call you when they please like you're their servant??..

Some good advice above but if you do want to do further work then negotiate a new contract with invoice agreements. If they wont agree to this then you simply say sorry the situation is not workable - end of story.
    Further to what Chris said the rate you should charge for Ad-Hoc on demand work (if you were to agree to do it) should be stellar, at least 4x the rate you previously contracted for, billed hourly and with a minimum charge of 4 hours.

Once a contract is over you have no moral or legal obligations to an old client. I set myself high standards and am willing to talk to old clients, but if it involves any work on my behalf I make it very clear that I charge for my time.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    This client needs to learn that ending a contract, as well as saving them some money, also has an unfortunate negative side to it ; that of not getting the work done anymore. It's confusing for them I know, but it might be worth pointing it out to them.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Last September I took on a contractor who was very good. And as a bonus he worked loads of overtime without invoicing for it. He was doing the job for the love of it and the sense of duty. I admire that in a contractor.

So, to save some budget I terminated his contract early and he agreed to carry on doing bits of work for nothing.

Don't let anyone tell you that contractors are the scum of the earth.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Jesus, they terminated the contract yet expect to call you when they please like you're their servant??..

Some good advice above but if you do want to do further work then negotiate a new contract with invoice agreements. If they wont agree to this then you simply say sorry the situation is not workable - end of story.

Leave a comment:

• alanev
    replied
    Ah, sorry Threaded, I see what you mean about working with no contract, you meant my working at the weekend after the contract had finished? I was actually working from home, dialed in remotely.

Cheers
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• alanev
    replied
    Threaded, I wasn't trying to be a 'soft touch', although unfortunately it probably comes across as such. It was my first contract and I really wanted to make sure that I could make it go well. As such I ended up doing stupid hours, and I mean stupid hours. Still, we learn by our mistakes and the next time I do, or should I say IF I do contracting again, I'll be sure not to make that mistake again. And I'm not sure what you meant about not going on site with a contract? I did have a contract.

The annoying thing is, they still have a 1 weeks timesheet to signoff, I'm hoping they dont starting being funny about that.

I appreciate all the replies, I guess that when I get the phone call on Monday I just say, in as many words, tough luck.

Cheers
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    This client needs to learn that ending a contract, as well as saving them some money, also has an unfortunate negative side to it ; that of not getting the work done anymore. It's confusing for them I know, but it might be worth pointing it out to them.
    Good point, well made....

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Ask yourself this

What will happen if I don't do any more work for these people?

You'll still not get paid, and not have to do any work. Id go with that if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I don't think he wants anything more to do with them, threaded...

Just be a man and say "Thanks - but No Thanks"....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WHS.

Offer them a work package - talk about money immediately after "Hello! Wasn't expecting you to call so soon!"

Politely refuse to answer any questions until the issue of money and invoicing has been resolved - and ask for a written contract with all negotiations in place.

Do nothing until you have it agreed in writing.

They won't bother you again...
    WSS

Apart from the work package, sorry, but you sound a soft touch so maybe taking work on in that way is not something you're ready for yet. I'd suggest you make sure it's a 'time and materials' contract, as it sounds like they like to move goal posts.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    ..Or simply say.

"I am unable to help you as I'm with another employer which prevents me from working for other companies. Sorry..."

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    WHS.

Offer them a work package - talk about money immediately after "Hello! Wasn't expecting you to call so soon!"

Politely refuse to answer any questions until the issue of money and invoicing has been resolved - and ask for a written contract with all negotiations in place.

Do nothing until you have it agreed in writing.

They won't bother you again...

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    First off never ever go on site without a contract. You'll find you're not insured etc. etc. etc. If there'd been an accident you would have been taken to the cleaners and hung out to dry.

By working for no pay means that of course that guy will call you, over and over, and then some, because you're a soft touch.

Don't bother with contracting again if the only way you can get work is by working for nothing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X