• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Market Picking Up?"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Yes, I can see that. Where I am sitting, I have no shortage of work on my doorstep.

When I get offered a job in Germany I have to factor in a £300 to £400 weekly flight, 4 or 5 nights a week in a Hotel plus food. Airport taxis at both ends, car hire, health and travel insurance. .
    If you're spending 3-400 on a flight you need a new travel agent. Thirty quid each way is what I often pay (even with a "real" airline).

In most countries taking on a short term rental is much much cheaper than a hotel (and IMHO much more convenient - I do hate carrying all my clothes EVERY week).

If you are taking taxis to/from the airport, why do you need a hire car, surely it's one or the other (though personally, I just used the local trains, if somewhere is really out of the way, I won't take the job)

tim

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yes, I can see that. Where I am sitting, I have no shortage of work on my doorstep.

When I get offered a job in Germany I have to factor in a £300 to £400 weekly flight, 4 or 5 nights a week in a Hotel plus food. Airport taxis at both ends, car hire, health and travel insurance. Because nobody is able to explain simply and definitively what your tax liability is in other EU countries you end up working through a payroll service provider who charges you an arm and a leg for a cr@p service and you pay a ton of German tax for your trouble.

Yes, you have my full sympathy if you're otherwise benched, I applaud your determination.

For me, I'll sit at home every evening and bank my locally earned £450 to £500 a day thanks for as long as it lasts.
    You need that rate because you are lazy!

Return to Munich on 23 February from Edinburgh with easyjet

flight 6911; dep. Mon 23 Feb 09:35
    arr. Mon 23 Feb 12:55 £29.99

Friday 27 February Munich to Edinburgh

flight 6912; dep. Fri 27 Feb 13:30
    arr. Fri 27 Feb 14:50 £54.99

(Total cost for flights) £84.98

£300 - 400?!!! Whit?!!!! Are you in it for the profit or is it just charity?

Hotel's for a 3-6 month gig - Are you mad!? Of course it's expensive!

You're a premie in disguise and I claim my £5

Worked in Norway for 18 months (perhaps one of the most expensive states in the EU) I did not spend in a month what you spent in a week in Germany.

It's called organisation and preparation -
    Last edited by scooterscot; 8 February 2009, 12:41.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

When I get offered a job in Germany I have to factor in a £300 to £400 weekly flight, 4 or 5 nights a week in a Hotel plus food. Airport taxis at both ends, car hire, health and travel insurance. Because nobody is able to explain simply and definitively what your tax liability is in other EU countries you end up working through a payroll service provider who charges you an arm and a leg for a cr@p service and you pay a ton of German tax for your trouble.

Yes, you have my full sympathy if you're otherwise benched, I applaud your determination.

For me, I'll sit at home every evening and bank my locally earned £450 to £500 a day thanks for as long as it lasts.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Sitting here on zero per hour, with little expectation of that changing in the UK this side of the next general election, I can assure you that going to a different country for 450 (euro) is worth the hassle.

tim
    here here. Pay no attention to him tim.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Because anything less isn't worth the hassle.
    Sitting here on zero per hour, with little expectation of that changing in the UK this side of the next general election, I can assure you that going to a different country for 450 (euro) is worth the hassle.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    How do you know that?

for what I do, the going rate is 450.

tim
    Because anything less isn't worth the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    For what I do the market rate is about £750 a day. Currently just below that with an extension in the offing.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Yes Franko - you sounded like a true Geordie native!

Now all you need to do is head oot on the lash without ya coat on!
    Do they sell coats in the North East?

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    You sold short. Should be Euros a 850/day.
    How do you know that?

for what I do, the going rate is 450.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Speak for yourself, I'm being paid to post tulip all day long.
    Ditto, albeit only 4 weeks left

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Yep market seems to be picking up. Had several calls this week, so far I'm in for 4 jobs.. one is a perm job which I've now got a confirmed interview for. Normally I wouldn't consider a perm job but this one is quite a fantastic opportunity if it was a foot in the door so I'm willing to go along and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Oh well never mind, I've no been to Munich before, meeting new people is always more interesting to me... rather then these winging Londoners and their crunch.. Gordon Bennett my ears a bleeding listening to it.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
    Newbie? I've been here since 2005, I will admit I've been a lurker for most of the time. Who am I? A benched contractor like the rest of us, trying to have a laugh in grim times.

I don't remeber being abusive.
    Oh I don't know - you're not very nice to Stephanie most of the time!

EDIT: Safe for Work - although might be a little embarrassing!!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
    Newbie? I've been here since 2005, I will admit I've been a lurker for most of the time. Who am I? A benched contractor like the rest of us, trying to have a laugh in grim times.

I don't remeber being abusive.
    Speak for yourself, I'm being paid to post tulip all day long.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Same here H&S opportunities are plenty, I've got FMECA's coming out me ears.

Right just got a call from Germany, what's the going rate? I quoted 700 euro a day, did not think they'd bite, but the did. Oh panic. Woz that a realistic rate????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X