• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are we really this thick?"

Collapse

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    My wife has advised me to stop watching TV gameshows lest I die of apoplexy.
    Your wife is right!

Give up daytime TV now or be condemmed to a lifetime of Jeremy Kyle and Noel Edmunds

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    OP: Are we really this thick?

Provisional answer: yes.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    It's also one of those shows where if you end up channel flicking and stop to watch it for more than 5 seconds, you end up watching it to the very end.

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

Deal or No Deal is pretty fun to watch.
    "25 or so" can mean +/-3.

Agreed though, as much as the whole show and concept is sh*t, it's also inexplicably entertaining to watch at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

I agree. I like deal or no deal.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Just going back to the original post, I too sometimes wonder about the caliber and mentality of the people who go on these TV game shows.

Take for instance 'Deal or no deal'.. you know, the one with Noel Edmonds.. you have 25 or so people all standing round a box, which is all well and good. But the part I don't get is how emotionally attached each and every one of them are to the success of the person trying to win the money.

I mean, I've seen it where they are literally jumping round (the box openers) as if they won the money themselves, or almost in tears if the person lost. It's not like they are going to see any of the money themselves, or be affected by the outcome. With jibes like "OMG FINGERS CROSSED, GOOD LUCK!! WE'RE PRAYING FOR YOU..." ... what's all that about??

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    nerd implies sexual inadequacy
    Watch big bang theory.

Fun and games in nerdville.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I have heard before that the difference between geek and nerd is employability. Fanciability sounds good too.
    nerd implies sexual inadequacy

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I LIKE geeks and I have no objection to being called one.
    Mr P is rather geeky, in the skinny, brainy and dry wit mode and I find him enormously attractive.

But nerds... now nerds are different.
    I have heard before that the difference between geek and nerd is employability. Fanciability sounds good too.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I LIKE geeks and I have no objection to being called one.
    Mr P is rather geeky, in the skinny, brainy and dry wit mode and I find him enormously attractive.

But nerds... now nerds are different.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Yeah - was talking to a friend of mine who's getting out of a dead end job in printing by training to be an electrician (yeah yeah - housing, death of building etc etc - but we're sure it'll recover in like 5 years or whatever).

His girlfreind and sister where taking the piss out of us for being "geeks", because we took an interest in how things worked, ie physics, maths and such. I shut them up by telling them how much i earned.
    Last edited by the_duderama; 4 February 2009, 16:29.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You actually watch something with Edmonds on it...

Oh The Horror! The Horror!
    The Shame! The Shame!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Personally it makes me wish that they would all be shoved feet first into a log chipper on slow setting closely followed by that tit Noel Edmonds.
    That's my sig sorted.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Just going back to the original post, I too sometimes wonder about the caliber and mentality of the people who go on these TV game shows.

Take for instance 'Deal or no deal'.. you know, the one with Noel Edmonds.. you have 25 or so people all standing round a box, which is all well and good. But the part I don't get is how emotionally attached each and every one of them are to the success of the person trying to win the money.

I mean, I've seen it where they are literally jumping round (the box openers) as if they won the money themselves, or almost in tears if the person lost. It's not like they are going to see any of the money themselves, or be affected by the outcome. With jibes like "OMG FINGERS CROSSED, GOOD LUCK!! WE'RE PRAYING FOR YOU..." ... what's all that about??
    That's because they have been briefed and indoctrinated to act that way, it's part of the supposed charm of the programme.

Personally it makes me wish that they would all be shoved feet first into a log chipper on slow setting closely followed by that tit Noel Edmonds.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Are winnings tax free?
    They would be under the Tories....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X