• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheap Indian laptop"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The built-in monitor would let you do that!

Ever use any of the routines in "Sweet16"?
    Yes but not so easily.

I think I still have the Sweet16 'manual' somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I bought an Apple IIe (European version) with 32K or RAM dual external floppies in 1980 for the princely sum of £1066 (I remember exactly).

It was amazing what you could do with it. I bought a 3rd party 6502 assembler which really let you get at the machine. The ROM-based BASIC was pretty good too.

Sold it when first child was born and sulked for a month.
    The built-in monitor would let you do that!

Ever use any of the routines in "Sweet16"?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Methinks they are cheating and simply converting the USD prices to quids. >£2K for an Apple ][ and > £3K for an early IBM PC sound more like what you actually had to pay in the UK.
    I bought an Apple IIe (European version) with 32K or RAM dual external floppies in 1980 for the princely sum of £1066 (I remember exactly).

It was amazing what you could do with it. I bought a 3rd party 6502 assembler which really let you get at the machine. The ROM-based BASIC was pretty good too.

Sold it when first child was born and sulked for a month.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have worked with people who would only use edlin.
    I used to think that was named after the bloke who created it.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    q!

(quit damn it)

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The 1959 IC was probably an AND gate. Which to be fair, do cost rather less than $10 now...

Dunno what the PC sold for here, but the first XT I saw cost about £3k...
    Originally Posted by The Times dept of random & weird statistics
    Down memory lane

1977 Apple sold its Apple II for $1,195 (then £680). It had only 16 kilobytes of random-access memory and the price did not include the monitor

1981 The first IBM PC cost $1,565 (then £775) and had the memory for a few text files. Source: Times archive
    Methinks they are cheating and simply converting the USD prices to quids. >£2K for an Apple ][ and > £3K for an early IBM PC sound more like what you actually had to pay in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I used to work with Webheads who wouldn't use anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    And it used to work first time in those days too.
    Probably because you'd use coding sheets first!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

copy con: c:\code.c

Don't forget ^Z when you've finished.
    And it used to work first time in those days too.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Notepad.

copy con: c:\code.c

Don't forget ^Z when you've finished.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Notepad.

I used to work with Webheads who wouldn't use anything else.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Ah, in that case it IS the $100 laptop (or a similar project). These were going to form a cloud/P2P network without using central servers IIRC.

Pretty sure many massive companies like MS have put money into this.
    I think it's a similar project - the original $100 laptop concept was part of the One Laptop per Child project - although it was closer to $200.

I remember reading something on the cloud networking concept for these devices - looked interesting.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Looks like the £7 price may have been a misquote, and the actual price will be closer to £70. Still not bad though! Linky.
    Ah, in that case it IS the $100 laptop (or a similar project). These were going to form a cloud/P2P network without using central servers IIRC.

Pretty sure many massive companies like MS have put money into this.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    The 1959 IC was probably an AND gate. Which to be fair, do cost rather less than $10 now...

IIRC the first integrated circuit was an op-amp made invented at Siemens in 1946 by a bod called Jacobi. Before the invention of the transistor (correction - no it wasn't)!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 4 February 2009, 10:54. Reason: facts dear boy

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Times dept of random & weird statistics
    Down memory lane

1981 The first IBM PC cost $1,565 (then £775) and had the memory for a few text files. Source: Times archives

I saw an PC in a New York office in the early 80s, and was told that it cost $5,500. Of course, it did have a Graphics Adapter (green only).

It was owned by a contractor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X