• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mandelson calls protests 'xenophobic'"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    This is reminiscent of the 1970's.

Linky
    It was recently put to me that the reason Thatcher hated the North so much was that was where unions were strong.

Funny thing about that though, the strikes which affected me in the 1970s and early '80s were all in either nationalised industries or the public sector (ambulances, buses, council workers, coal and steel come to mind, plus a few government departments). Ford, Vauxhall and the newspapers are the only examples of private industry on strike that I can remember, and they didn't cause me any grief that I recall.

Something doesn't add up.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    It is the 1970s without Led Zep. Must be a change of govt coming soon?
    This is reminiscent of the 1970's.

Linky

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    OK with me. But I have actually heard them on the radio a few times recently.
    Oh, good point.

Who is not on the radio any more either? What about Hurricane Smith? No hold on, he wasn't a band. The Osmonds?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    What about Sweet then? The 1970s without Sweet?
    OK with me. But I have actually heard them on the radio a few times recently.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    What about Sweet then? The 1970s without Sweet?

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    nope Led Zep reformed, remember...

It is the 1970's but without Deep Purple.
    I was going to say UFO but just read the Wiki page and they have reformed too

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied

'Scuse me, but they did 1 gig. If you think that a reformed Zep without Plant is Zep, words fail jlkjl #+$$ XXX!!!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Deep Purple are still going, but without Ritchie Blackmore. He has a band with his wife and they go around singing folk songs and wearing mediaeval clothing.

I saw Deep Purple in 2007 in NL; brilliant.
    I saw them a year or two ago at Monsters Of Rock: good, but not a single band member that was on the first couple of Deep Purple albums I had bought.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    nope Led Zep reformned, remember...

Deep Purple are still going, but without Ritchie Blackmore. He has a band with his wife and they go around singing folk songs and wearing mediaeval clothing.

I saw Deep Purple in 2007 in NL; brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Workers at the Lindsey oil refinery in Lincolnshire are insisting that one British worker be employed for every Italian or Portuguese contractor.

Amid mounting confusion in the row over foreign workers, union members rejected a deal under which an additional 40 skilled and 20 unskilled jobs at the plant would have been allocated to British workers.

The refinery has been the scene of illegal industrial action since last Wednesday
    It is the 1970s without Led Zep. Must be a change of govt coming soon?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Under the bizarre EU rules I suppose it's OK for an Italian or a Portuguese to sh@g my wife now.

Oh well, it saves me the trouble. And I do overcharge.
    Yes..indeed (presuming your wife consented), seems like your getting the hang of it.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Under the bizarre EU rules I suppose it's OK for an Italian or a Portuguese to sh@g my wife now.

I think you misunderstand - it's you that has to bend over...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You give the Italians and Portugese British contracts, and then they're British. Tax rates are roughly the same. The only difference, when they're laid off they'll receive British benefits.

Storm in a tea-cup. Seems that the EU rules have been misunderstood.

It would be quite different if they were from outside the EU. Then they would have a point.

When you apply for a job you don't give them your nationality. The same applies in Germany. Applied for loads of jobs, never actually stating that I'm British.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 February 2009, 11:53.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X