• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More british jobs for italian workers"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    They are rubbish workers. We had some of them over to build us a wall, blooming thing has fallen down already
    Aye, but I bet large chunks of it are still standing long after the typical Barratt house has crumbled.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    They only take two hour lunch breaks with the Brits; translating everything makes every conversation take twice as long.
    I wasn't saying I had any objections . It takes at least 20 mins to work your way through the lunchtime wine list.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Multi-lingualism and two-hour lunch breaks
    They only take two hour lunch breaks with the Brits; translating everything makes every conversation take twice as long.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I did say "in terms of work" as opposed to food, sh@@@ing, culture etc etc. I am intrigued to know why on Earth Italians would be more suitable to work in the subprime, subsistence, subzero North Lincolnshire than Northern British neanderthals.

Oh - now I see what you mean.

Well bearing in mind that in Belgium the Italians are the 3rd biggest national group (after the the French and Dutch) this was due to after the War they immigrated en masse to the South of Belgium to man the Coal Industry - and that is a tough job.

So they are certainly grafters if they put their mind to it.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    In terms of work and business what exactly can the Italians teach us?
    Multi-lingualism and two-hour lunch breaks

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I did say "in terms of work" as opposed to food, sh@@@ing, culture etc etc. I am intrigued to know why on Earth Italians would be more suitable to work in the subprime, subsistence, subzero North Lincolnshire than Northern British neanderthals.
    ...or indeed why they would want to work in Grimsby.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    DA

To understand that - you have to live in Italy itself - in some ways living in Italy is a little like following in Love with a prostitute.

More than this - I am eternally greatful to Rome - that Alf - a nobody from nowhere - lived and worked in the Eternal City for a year.

It changed my view of the World in ways I cannot describe.

And I even met Francko there too.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied

DA

To understand that - you have to live in Italy itself - in some ways living in Italy is a little like following in Love with a prostitute.

More than this - I am eternally greatful to Rome - that Alf - a nobody from nowhere - lived and worked in the Eternal City for a year.

It changed my view of the World in ways I cannot describe.

And I even met Francko there too.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Skimming off the top. Like a pimp really

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    How to cook.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Whilst i can see the point bearing in mind we are in a recession, what about all the people from the UK goign over to other countries "taking jobs" from locals there?

I worked for an oil company in london that only used english contractors globally. Algeria, norway, north africa, russia, etc....

cant see any difference really.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Is it time to start the Alfa Romeo debate?
    Alfas aren't made by Italians. If only they were. They're designed by Italians; that's the good bit. They're made by cheapo semi-literate Albanians so they can undercut the BMWs and Mercedes of this world.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    To be fair, that isn't really a representative sample of Italian industrial competence is it?
    Is it time to start the Alfa Romeo debate?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    They are rubbish workers. We had some of them over to build us a wall, blooming thing has fallen down already

To be fair, that isn't really a representative sample of Italian industrial competence is it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X