• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: SC/CTC clearance

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SC/CTC clearance"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This is what you do:

Just lie to the pimp. Say you've got it. When you get your foot in the door the client will start you on a wavier process and you'll have your SC before the end of the contract.
    WHS. At least one member on this board did it claiming a DV, and it worked a treat.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Hmm, probably not that wise since a sizable part of the Clearance process looks at how trustworthy you are, starting with an outright lie might not be ideal.

I suspect (hope) that your comment was thoroughly tongue in cheek.
    Well I've done it before - but then I had clearance before, it had just expired because of a stupid security officer's useless administration.

I'd not recommend this approach if you've never been cleared.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Hmm, probably not that wise since a sizable part of the Clearance process looks at how trustworthy you are, starting with an outright lie might not be ideal.

I doubt that they would get past the front door as they would check the validity of clearance before they offer the role. Therefore it was a tongue firmly in cheek comment. Which cheek.... couldn't answer that.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This is what you do:

Just lie to the pimp. Say you've got it. When you get your foot in the door the client will start you on a wavier process and you'll have your SC before the end of the contract.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Which breaches the Cabinet Office guidelines, which says that the government should NOT ask for prior clearance unless it will take longer to come through than the project will last (i.e. a month or less).

So, if you see job adverts which are restricting this, then you should ensure that you report the job advert and agency to the DBERR.
    They can disguise it how they like... they can say "All candidates can apply". But at the end of the day, if the hiring manager has an urgent need and there is someone with some of the skills and the clearance... who are they more likely going to give the job to? They won't give it to someone with the exact skills and no clearance. This is one case where cheapness is the mostness.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    I've got BC clearance, last gig wanted SC and I started the application but never got it submitted before I left. Wish I'd got it done now.
    This is what you do:

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Anyone know how I can go about obtaining SC or CTC clearance? Quite a few jobs I've seen advertised require this.
    Yes. Win a government contract.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I'm referring to this point:
    Not true. I currently work in the public sector and hire in the public sector. I don't ignore people because they don't have current clearance, I will if they don't have the skills and experience.
    So on average how many non cleared CVs make it as far as you for a role? I'm Just wondering because I have had nothing but call after call from agents that automatically dump the CV as soon as they find out that my clearance has lapsed.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Which breaches the Cabinet Office guidelines, which says that the government should NOT ask for prior clearance unless it will take longer to come through than the project will last (i.e. a month or less).

So, if you see job adverts which are restricting this, then you should ensure that you report the job advert and agency to the DBERR.
    Like that will achieve anything.

All they have to do is chuck the non Cleared CV's in the bin, it's not like they are short of applicants and unless the skills required are very niche there will be plenty suitable that meet the spec.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    You will find jobs that are prepared to put you through SC Clearance. Because of the time it takes, you may end up waiting 3 to 6 months before it come through.... therefore, traditionally, some companies don't offer it on contracts that are less than 1 year.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied

Not true. I currently work in the public sector and hire in the public sector. I don't ignore people because they don't have current clearance, I will if they don't have the skills and experience.

If an offer is made subject to clearance, some contractors will not wait for the clearance to come through. That's up to them and is the reality of it, whatever a 3 year old article in computerweekly says.
    I honestly (sic) believe you.... I think most Public Sector Managers would take on contractors with the right experience...... It is the pimps who are lying through thier teeth... "The client will only accept your cv if you have current clearance......"

PS Its odd that you quoted DiscoStu IF you were referencing mine!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

A real Catch 22.... You need Clearance to get the role..... You can't get the role without Clearance.........

If an offer is made subject to clearance, some contractors will not wait for the clearance to come through. That's up to them and is the reality of it, whatever a 3 year old article in computerweekly says.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    That was 3 years ago, since then EDS and all the other Borg like corps have been putting people through left right and centre, it doesn't hold as much clout as it once did.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    If you have the necessary skills and experience, you'll get the gig. Those of us with clearance didn't have it once so there really is no argument...
    Yes there is

Tight project deadlines mean that public sector bodies are reluctant to hire contractors with the right skills and put them through security clearances, which can take weeks or months to complete, according to recruitment agencies.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I once replied to jobserve advert that asked for SC, when it became apparent that the work involved a high street a retail chain I asked why they had stipulated SC? The pimp replied with “The PM thinks SC cleared candidates would be more trustworthy”.
    That truly deserves an 'Oh dear'!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X