• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nice try!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nice try!"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    I've had no problems with the agent.

Originally posted by thelace View Post
    I'm not IT.
    Ah! That explains it.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    I know I'm new to contracting but in my line of work, I've had no problems with the agent.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    In normal life I think most people are quite happy with recruiters. Either contractors are different, or IT is different... any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    A computer people agency

rang me today as they had a gig for me in Manchester. Business analyst role, supplying expertise of open source content management systems. To perform a feasibility study of the best one and to then implement.

Then told I had to phone the client to discuss as she didn't have any details, or specifics.

Believe it or not people, I made the call. Had to. Just to find out what was going on. I got the company name, lets say Bloggs Inc. Checked on companies house

there was

Bloggs Inc
    Bloggs Inc 845 - Dissolved
    Bloggs Inc 846 - Liquidating
    Bloggs Inc 847 - Liquidating

Hundreds of em like this, all at the same address.

I called. The bloke said they did not contact the agency, rather the agency hassled him. He did not have a role, and just wanted a consultant on a specific product to go in and do a pitch.

Even the agents are hassling the clients now. They are desperate. Which is not a good sign. And then doing word searches on CVs and staggering around wildly trying to make a buck. Mind you thats the norm aint it.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    It's the families that I feel sorry for the most, especially the little 'uns.

Teacher : "So Timmy, what does your daddy do ?"

Timmy : "My daddy is a Doctor, Miss."

Teacher : "Very good Timmy. And you Samantha. What does your daddy do ?"

Samantha : "My daddy works with computers, Miss".

Teacher ": "That's nice Samantha. Johnny, what does your father do ?"

Johnny : "My Daddy, er, makes burgers in Mcdonald's, Miss"

Teacher : "Oh, er, well, that's, er, very good too Johnny"

Samantha : "Miss ! Miss ! Johhny lied. His Daddy is a Recruitment Agent"

Teacher : <pause> "Oh. I see. Well Samantha, sometimes it's better to tell a little fib than tell the truth"
    Alternative ending:

Johnny: "My Daddy plays piano in a brothel"
    Teacher (later, after school): "Johnny, we don't mention that sort of thing in class"
    Johnny: "It's better than admitting he's a lawyer/recruitment agent/estate agent*"

* fill in as appropriate

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I do hate agents, all of them are superfluous, serve no bloody good purpose.
    It's the families that I feel sorry for the most, especially the little 'uns.

Teacher : "So Timmy, what does your daddy do ?"

Timmy : "My daddy is a Doctor, Miss."

Teacher : "Very good Timmy. And you Samantha. What does your daddy do ?"

Samantha : "My daddy works with computers, Miss".

Teacher ": "That's nice Samantha. Johnny, what does your father do ?"

Johnny : "My Daddy, er, makes burgers in Mcdonald's, Miss"

Teacher : "Oh, er, well, that's, er, very good too Johnny"

Samantha : "Miss ! Miss ! Johhny lied. His Daddy is a Recruitment Agent"

Teacher : <pause> "Oh. I see. Well Samantha, sometimes it's better to tell a little fib than tell the truth"

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Had a cold call today at around 2pm

bklah blah, new opportunities, blah blah.

Asked whre I was working, I said "In London"
    He dug a little harder
    I said "Public Sector"
    He dug again
    I told him "Don't think so mate, you don't need to know where I am working now, if you got any work for me, tell em else I have to get back to the office....click"

I do hate agents, all of them are superfluous, serve no bloody good purpose.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Even cockroaches have to eat. Same goes for agents, just they are lower in the food chain.
    Sorry, I have to very strongly disagree with that statement!!!!!!

Elements of the food chain do actually add value, Agents can't claim that.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Even cockroaches have to eat. Same goes for agents, just they are lower in the food chain.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Very good - might use that!
    I just have, quite an inspired template.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh dear.

Ready made reply;

Due to the recurring instance of rogue recruitment agencies pretending to offer contracts in order to obtain Client information,
    To ensure genuine contract status verification, we now give preference to agencies able to provide us with the line manager referee details of the contract being offered,

This can be done in the form of an email, stating:- Name/Position/Company/Contact Number/bank account number/ PIN code

Very good - might use that!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh dear.

Ready made reply;

Due to the recurring instance of rogue recruitment agencies pretending to offer contracts in order to obtain Client information,
    To ensure genuine contract status verification, we now give preference to agencies able to provide us with the line manager referee details of the contract being offered,

This can be done in the form of an email, stating:- Name/Position/Company/Contact Number/bank account number/ PIN code

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    Why don't they just ask for any leads? Would save embarressment all round?
    You might ask them for a margin if they do that.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Why don't they just ask for any leads? Would save embarressment all round?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Oh dear.

Ready made reply;

Leave a comment:

Working...
X