• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 2 Minute MBA!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 Minute MBA!"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    But I am a shareholder NOW, not in many years' time.

So I want the profits NOW, not in many years' time.

How do we overcome that?
    Then perhaps the shareholder needs a little education about his own financial needs. Do you need a speedboat now or a solid pension fund when you’re 60/65? Do you need a SUV now or do you make do with a normal car and have food to eat when you’re a pensioner? You may have got to the heart of the problem; lack of long term judgement on the part of shareholders, leading to the appointment of short term oriented managers in positions where they should really be looking after the long term needs of a business.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

How do we overcome that?
    You must be in a hedge fund?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ..... but making money continually over a period of many years involves a more developed way of thinking, involving an understanding of technology, the outside world, human relationships, social expectations and norms, political developments and so on and so on. A business which loses the goodwill of society is on the wrong course......

How do we overcome that?

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Depends on who you are quoting, doesn't it

All of mine are the top few hits from a Google search for profit and vanity...
    Mine is attributed to Baruch, who is generally accepted as being the originator of that little gem. I'm not entirely convinced though...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    The actual quote is "market share is vanity, profit is sanity, cash flow is reality"

Sorry to be boring.
    Depends on who you are quoting, doesn't it

All of mine are the top few hits from a Google search for profit and vanity...

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sales is vanity, profit is sanity and cash is reality?

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity but cash is king?

Volume is vanity, profit is sanity?

Production is vanity, profit is sanity?

Any one of those, I guess.
    The actual quote is "market share is vanity, profit is sanity, cash flow is reality"

Sorry to be boring.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    There's a very good quote about profit and sanity or vanity that would be good to expound right now. I can't remember what it was though.
    Sales is vanity, profit is sanity and cash is reality?

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity but cash is king?

Volume is vanity, profit is sanity?

Production is vanity, profit is sanity?

Any one of those, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    There's a very good quote about profit and sanity or vanity that would be good to expound right now. I can't remember what it was though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    better put, a company is in business to make a profit
    I beg to differ.

"A company exists solely to make money for its shareholders".
    is much better put that your attempt, milan.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I got me an MSc. They ain't all that...
    Mine woz reelly 'ard, innit.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    It's simply that when I look at the people I meet who have MBA's I struggle to believe that they have had to apply the same academic rigour as I apply to getting an MSc.
    I got me an MSc. They ain't all that...

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    ...I expect Daddy did his thesis for him
    marked

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    I did a PGDip in Management of Manufacturing and Technology. It was mostly exam based with several hefty essays that I had to send in on pretty tough deadlines. One of the subjects I had to do was ‘Industrial History’. I was sceptical at first, but it turned out to provide perhaps the most useful lessons of all. Particulary the bit about the rise of Taylorism and the ‘ blue collar blues’ of the 70’s. I recently suggested to an MBA that his rigid application of process discipline to developers and testers was reminiscent of Taylorism and was part of a rising problem of ‘white collar blues’. Expecting an angry but educated answer, I was rather disappointed when he said ‘what’s Taylorism?’ He gets an MBA without knowing that?
    ...I expect Daddy did his thesis for him

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    you could change your forum name to "Mich the educated Tester"!
    No, that would be immodest.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    I’m a tester with an education instead of an MBA.
    you could change your forum name to "Mich the educated Tester"!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X