• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Beggars

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Beggars"

Collapse

• Unicorn
    replied
    Beggars

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    It could be easier to end up there than you might imagine:

In my life I have seen people buying Tennants Super Lager at about 8am in the morning twice.

Once was two wino's scraping together enough coins for a 4-pack between them. They were quite happy that they were sorted for the rest of the morning.

The other was a chap in a suit who had just arrived on a train at Waterloo. I saw him walking out of the shop and stuff three cans (an odd number I know unless he had already put one somewhere else) into his brief-case. He didn't say what he was planning to do with them, but I imagine the intention was to consume them before his journey home.
    Lunchtime

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    One of the TV networks did a programme on homelessness a couple of years ago. There was a guy who said the reason they drink alcohol is not because they are alcoholics, but because it helps them to get to sleep on bitter cold nights (even though they know alcohol itself lowers body temperature).
    I didn't see the TV programme, but did hear a talk on the Beeb from someone who'd been involved in making it. He started out by saying that we shouldn't take the moral high tone on booze; if we can look forward to a few beers of an evening, why shouldn't the guy who has no home also partake? Yes, he did mention what you said, and also went on to say that you shouldn't wake up someone sleeping on the street when it's freezing to give them assistance, as they've probably had a sod of a time getting to sleep in the first place.

Having said that, I generally don't give money to beggars. A stint in Paris taught me that.

Here's a tip should any of you know someone in the position of begging. As a Northerner, any beggar who calls me "Guv" is not going to get a donation from me. Someone who shows a bit of spirit and is prepared to entertain me will have me reaching into my pocket. Back to Paris again for that experience.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

In my life I have seen people buying Tennants Super Lager at about 8am in the morning twice.

Once was two wino's scraping together enough coins for a 4-pack between them. They were quite happy that they were sorted for the rest of the morning.

The other was a chap in a suit who had just arrived on a train at Waterloo. I saw him walking out of the shop and stuff three cans (an odd number I know unless he had already put one somewhere else) into his brief-case. He didn't say what he was planning to do with them, but I imagine the intention was to consume them before his journey home.

Me, I never give to beggars in the street. The only ones I have seen in London in recent years have all been junkies and giving them money directly will only serve to extend their misery.

Mind you, I never give to people with collecting tins in the street either.
    Good point Gonzo. Not all beggars are drug taking, cider swigging denizens of the street. Some are respectable, tin rattling, guilt inducing, BBC policy changing twats

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Me and a (female) mate walking into Clapham Junction. Beggar comes up "I neeeed £2 to get the train home to Barnes. I've got noooo money"

OK says I. We were going to get the train to Barnes as well, but as there's three of us, we'll get a taxi, and you can come with us for free.

She followed us out of the station as she just repeated the line over and over again about needing £2. But she refused to come with us into the taxi, just repeating the previous line.

The irony was lost on her completely.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

Me, I never give to beggars in the street. The only ones I have seen in London in recent years have all been junkies and giving them money directly will only serve to extend their misery.

Mind you, I never give to people with collecting tins in the street either.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Once in the Eighties I was walking down to work at about half ten in the morning when a wino came out of a supermarket a few yards ahead. He appeared agitated but, seeing me, his face lit up.

As he rushed over to me I braced myself for the usual sob story but to my surprise he opened his hand, revealing about 70p, and said "Mate, have you got eight pence - I'm that much short of a bottle of cider!"

I was so impressed by his honesty that I gave him a quid and told him to get two

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Don't give them food, thats just exacerbating the situation

Give them money for drugs instead
    Sometimes I think that might be the kindest thing. Give 'em an enormous wad to go and buy the best charlie they can lay their hands on. Saves some time in their downward spiral to the grave.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Don't give them food, thats just exacerbating the situation

Give them money for drugs instead

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I get it - I was there and am probably old enough to everyone's dad

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    He's from Spinal Tap. There's a whole routine about his amplifier going up to 11 when most stop at 10, so his is 1 louder. My joke was a hilarious take on this.

You had to be there, I s'pose.
    I get it - I was there and am probably old enough to be everyone's dad

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Bit before my time, I think
    Yeah, mine too. My dad told me about it.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    He's from Spinal Tap. There's a whole routine about his amplifier going up to 11 when most stop at 10, so his is 1 louder. My joke was a hilarious take on this.

Bit before my time, I think

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Dunno who that is

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I don't give money on the streets. I donate to Oxfam to fight against poverty globally.

I don't think I'm helping if I give money to someone on the street. Everyone that gives is making begging a viable lifestyle choice. Which isn't good for anyone involved.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    I give them a roll-up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X