• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors with permie brains"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto View Post
    My current contract is 12.5 years old, and both myself and Client Co are well aware that I'm just a contractor, not a permie!!
    Permie
    Contractor

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Didn't seem to be a problem when I was investigated.
    you were investigated ?

do tell

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    How is this viewed by HMRC? Do they not view you as a permie then?
    Didn't seem to be a problem when I was investigated.

Leave a comment:

• Slumdog
    replied
    Any recommendations/preferential suppliers for agencies for these embedded roles?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is there a big market in that then? Or are you like the only person with decent experience in it? I have an extremely niche skill but the problem is it's so niche, finding anyone wanting it is tricky. Hmm, that sounds like a thread in its own right...
    Fairly big market, A380, Boeing 787, london underground, BAE Systems, Rolls Royce,

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Real time embedded systems on mil/civil aircraft and trains.

Also can do all of the life cycle, Req-Design-Code-Integration-Acceptance.

Jack of all Master of none, but always seems to be something going plus lots of good contacts.
    Is there a big market in that then? Or are you like the only person with decent experience in it? I have an extremely niche skill but the problem is it's so niche, finding anyone wanting it is tricky. Hmm, that sounds like a thread in its own right...

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    I've never personally been investigated but I'm doing all the usual things to keep them satisfied. No guarantee, clearly.

The point is at the end of the project, you're out the door (in theory.) If I'm offered another one with the same client, I insist on a fresh contract being started.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    My current contract is 12.5 years old, and both myself and Client Co are well aware that I'm just a contractor, not a permie!!
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    I think it's quite possible to spend an extended period at one client without "going native." As long as you can continue to avoid all the permie activites, and explain why (without objection), no problem.

Certain jobs, like project/programme management require you to (a) stay around until the job's done, which can take years in extreme cases, and (b) give the client 100% of your time.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    I think it's quite possible to spend an extended period at one client without "going native." As long as you can continue to avoid all the permie activites, and explain why (without objection), no problem.

Certain jobs, like project/programme management require you to (a) stay around until the job's done, which can take years in extreme cases, and (b) give the client 100% of your time.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    They have to drag me out with my fingernails screeching accross the floor of reception.

6 years with one client, 3 with another, 7 with next, 3 years with current.

Do I get institutionalised? Never.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    They have to drag me out with my fingernails screeching accross the floor of reception.

6 years with one client, 3 with another, 7 with next, 3 years with current.

Do I get institutionalised? Never.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I have a rule of a year, give or take.

But you can't always stick to that. I've been at my current client for 18 months. I'm waiting for them to start a project I want to get onto my CV, it's good money, and it's quiet out there in my type of work.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    What is your area of work?
    Real time embedded systems on mil/civil aircraft and trains.

Also can do all of the life cycle, Req-Design-Code-Integration-Acceptance.

Jack of all Master of none, but always seems to be something going plus lots of good contacts.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    This morning ClientCo held a meeting where everyone was told about cost reductions, redundancies and savings on training costs (clever!?) and of course contractors.

One contractor then asked ‘so what security do contractors have?’ How crazy is he? Doesn't he understand that we earn more in return for flexibility?

Another contractor answered ‘a savings account’.

The guy has been here so long (3+ years) that he’s started to think like a permie. Personally I don’t believe in spending more than 18 months at a clientco, as I want to keep the independent mind and varied skill set that gets me contracts. What do the panel think?
    Aye Mitch

You will find people a strange bunch.

Dont concern yourself too much with the puzzling attitudes of others - just paddle your own canoe and let the rest fret.

My take is that if you're happy were you are working then its better the Devil you know ... but then again Im at the sunset of my IT days and Im more interested in working with good people and working with companies that at least are not harmful in their activities .

I remember the past vainglory days of ruthless ambition as well ; - but I would trade quality and well-being for money - thats for sure.

Away with Ambition !!!

Whatever you do - Good Luck !
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 January 2009, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I have a client company mobile, laptop and email address none of which I asked for, they expect me to clock in on the company system and I was sent a sick leave form to fill out the other day.

When I started this role I was asked straight away if I’d like to go permanent which I didn’t expect, when I enquired about the rate he said about half what I am getting now. I know I am a disguised employee in their eyes but I never wanted it to be this way, sometimes it’s not the contractor who needs educating.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X