• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thick Northerners dragging down the South"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I think this was talked about before on here, the Glasgow unemployment rate is actually pretty good, somewhere around 3.5%, the incapacity benefit rate is touching 17% though

Salmond really was taking the piss last week when he said that Glasgow had the potential to be an economic powerhouse.
    My list

Originally Posted by BrilloPad
    Political party
    Comedian

SNP
    Alex Salmond

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I think it might have been. I found out recently that the unemployment rate (at least in terms of claiming benefits) is basically the same in Scotland as in the UK as a whole. That did surprise me, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so when I left Glasgow in 1974 to find work.

So maybe Glasgow is too prosperous now to be the traditional fertile ground for Army recruitment That would be a good thing, though: I hate to think of kids being sent to die for the American oil empire just because they couldn't get a job.
    I think this was talked about before on here, the Glasgow unemployment rate is actually pretty good, somewhere around 3.5%, the incapacity benefit rate is touching 17% though

Salmond really was taking the piss last week when he said that Glasgow had the potential to be an economic powerhouse.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I think it might have been. I found out recently that the unemployment rate (at least in terms of claiming benefits) is basically the same in Scotland as in the UK as a whole. That did surprise me, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so when I left Glasgow in 1974 to find work.

So maybe Glasgow is too prosperous now to be the traditional fertile ground for Army recruitment That would be a good thing, though: I hate to think of kids being sent to die for the American oil empire just because they couldn't get a job.
    A relative was a major in an elite regiment. He said he always felt part of the Tony Blair spin machine. Not what he joined up for.....

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why join the army and work hard when you can take the dole and laze around all day?

But I think it would have been a similar response anywhere in the country : north or south.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Considering your diet of curry, curry, curry & beer, I'm surprised it's not a regular thing with you!
    I quite like the description 'Chocolate waterfalls' - dainty yet revolting at the same time
    Now you've upset me. It's curry , beer,curry , beer.

Hows about , 'Force ten from the rusty bullet hole'

Leave a comment:

• JamieMoles
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Considering your diet of curry, curry, curry & beer, I'm surprised it's not a regular thing with you!
    I quite like the description 'Chocolate waterfalls' - dainty yet revolting at the same time
    The green apple quick-steps is the best description I've heard.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Yeah, I reckon we are too dainty in this country, we need far more descriptive language like that. I am not to proud to reveal that I had a bad case of the fallthroughs last week. I think the Northern mind is too highly tuned, thats why we use such dainty language.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Which reminds me that the German word for diarrhoea is Durchfall, from "durch" meaning "through" and "fall" meaning "fall" - i.e. "fall through". Quite descriptive really
    Yeah, I reckon we are too dainty in this country, we need far more descriptive language like that. I am not to proud to reveal that I had a bad case of the fallthroughs last week. I think the Northern mind is too highly tuned, thats why we use such dainty language.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's like the decline and fall of the Roman empire all over again. Except this time it's with Thai green curry
    Which reminds me that the German word for diarrhoea is Durchfall, from "durch" meaning "through" and "fall" meaning "fall" - i.e. "fall through". Quite descriptive really

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    A NEW army recruitment drive to enlist workers laid off by the economic squeeze met with a virtually non-existent response at a jobs fair in Glasgow yesterday.
    But there's a difference from when I were a lad. In those days you could join thinking you could expect to be defending your country (and the remaining bits of the Empire), not being sent off to fight in the likes of Iraq or Afghanistan on trumped up charges of WMDs.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    This would suggest that it aint that bad up North -

A NEW army recruitment drive to enlist workers laid off by the economic squeeze met with a virtually non-existent response at a jobs fair in Glasgow yesterday.

Despite targeting one of its most fruitful recruitment areas, soldiers at the event in Easterhouse received only a handful of inquiries

One comment I read about the above article was that its was claimed that British soldiers are being used to gaurd Poppy Fields - if this was true it would be a wwe bit disconcerting altough not surprising.

It's like the decline and fall of the Roman empire all over again. Except this time it's with Thai green curry

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Despite targeting one of its most fruitful recruitment areas, soldiers at the event in Easterhouse received only a handful of inquiries

One comment I read about the above article was that its was claimed that British soldiers are being used to gaurd Poppy Fields - if this was true it would be a wwe bit disconcerting altough not surprising.
    Why join the army and work hard when you can take the dole and laze around all day?

But I think it would have been a similar response anywhere in the country : north or south.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    CUK repetitive circular argument no 3 - The North South divide zzzzz

Tomorrow - Repetitive circular argument no 2 Imigrants and crime levels

Instead: I'd rather talk about my lovely dinner, I had a Thai green curry, mmm lovely
    I had a haddock chowder with a couple of poached eggs : it was f**king delicious.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Dim is a brilliant troll you have to admit!
    At least baggy can see it for a bit of tongue-in-cheek trolling posted after a glass or two of wine!

If it weren't for Northern and Welsh girls, I'd still be a virgin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X