• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thick Northerners dragging down the South

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would suggest that it aint that bad up North -

A NEW army recruitment drive to enlist workers laid off by the economic squeeze met with a virtually non-existent response at a jobs fair in Glasgow yesterday.

Despite targeting one of its most fruitful recruitment areas, soldiers at the event in Easterhouse received only a handful of inquiries

One comment I read about the above article was that its was claimed that British soldiers are being used to gaurd Poppy Fields - if this was true it would be a wwe bit disconcerting altough not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

A NEW army recruitment drive to enlist workers laid off by the economic squeeze met with a virtually non-existent response at a jobs fair in Glasgow yesterday.

Despite targeting one of its most fruitful recruitment areas, soldiers at the event in Easterhouse received only a handful of inquiries

One comment I read about the above article was that its was claimed that British soldiers are being used to gaurd Poppy Fields - if this was true it would be a wwe bit disconcerting altough not surprising.
      Why join the army and work hard when you can take the dole and laze around all day?

But I think it would have been a similar response anywhere in the country : north or south.

Comment

It's like the decline and fall of the Roman empire all over again. Except this time it's with Thai green curry

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

But there's a difference from when I were a lad. In those days you could join thinking you could expect to be defending your country (and the remaining bits of the Empire), not being sent off to fight in the likes of Iraq or Afghanistan on trumped up charges of WMDs.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            It's like the decline and fall of the Roman empire all over again. Except this time it's with Thai green curry
            Which reminds me that the German word for diarrhoea is Durchfall, from "durch" meaning "through" and "fall" meaning "fall" - i.e. "fall through". Quite descriptive really
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Which reminds me that the German word for diarrhoea is Durchfall, from "durch" meaning "through" and "fall" meaning "fall" - i.e. "fall through". Quite descriptive really
              Yeah, I reckon we are too dainty in this country, we need far more descriptive language like that. I am not to proud to reveal that I had a bad case of the fallthroughs last week. I think the Northern mind is too highly tuned, thats why we use such dainty language.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Yeah, I reckon we are too dainty in this country, we need far more descriptive language like that. I am not to proud to reveal that I had a bad case of the fallthroughs last week. I think the Northern mind is too highly tuned, thats why we use such dainty language.

Considering your diet of curry, curry, curry & beer, I'm surprised it's not a regular thing with you!
                I quite like the description 'Chocolate waterfalls' - dainty yet revolting at the same time
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  Considering your diet of curry, curry, curry & beer, I'm surprised it's not a regular thing with you!
                  I quite like the description 'Chocolate waterfalls' - dainty yet revolting at the same time
                  The green apple quick-steps is the best description I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    Now you've upset me. It's curry , beer,curry , beer.

Hows about , 'Force ten from the rusty bullet hole'

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Why join the army and work hard when you can take the dole and laze around all day?

But I think it would have been a similar response anywhere in the country : north or south.
                      I think it might have been. I found out recently that the unemployment rate (at least in terms of claiming benefits) is basically the same in Scotland as in the UK as a whole. That did surprise me, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so when I left Glasgow in 1974 to find work.

So maybe Glasgow is too prosperous now to be the traditional fertile ground for Army recruitment That would be a good thing, though: I hate to think of kids being sent to die for the American oil empire just because they couldn't get a job.

Comment

Working...
                      X