• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This Is Scary - A Thought-Provoking Bank Graphic"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    anal
    Good idea. Shall discuss with Mrs Tester this evening.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...and that's the deception. The graphic is supposed to illustrate the fall in market value, not the absolute market value, and so when comparing the fall in market value, equally sized circles are appropriate. If it was to demonstrate absolute market value at any given time, then all the circles would be different sizes proportional to the absolute market value.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but I'm a tester. I'm supposed to be pedantic.
    anal

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    The circles are proportional to their market value.
    ...and that's the deception. The graphic is supposed to illustrate the fall in market value, not the absolute market value, and so when comparing the fall in market value, equally sized circles are appropriate. If it was to demonstrate absolute market value at any given time, then all the circles would be different sizes proportional to the absolute market value.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but I'm a tester. I'm supposed to be pedantic.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    Good old HSBC, glad to see a stalwart of the British banking sector remaining strong.

I am half tempted to close ALL my accounts and open new Current, Saving and Busineess Current and Business Deposit accounts with HSBC as a reward for being sensible and diversifying their risk.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Indeed. Or a fresh MBA graduate trying to stick his tongue up the CFO's ass. It's skewed by using different sizes of circles. If the blue circles were all the same size it would be painfully apparent to the advertiser's target group that Both Deutsche Bank and Santander have fared better than JP Morgan, but of course senior management wouldn't be pleased if someone were to say that.
    Actually from those figures Deutcher have done far worse than JPM and Santander only slightly better.

Deutcher = ~82% loss
    JPM = ~58% loss
    Santander = ~54% loss

The circles are proportional to their market value.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Only going to get worse now shorting is back, Hedge funds are making a killing, killing the banks

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Here's another graphic for ya. Bout a week out of date mind...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    F***ing advert.
    Indeed. Or a fresh MBA graduate trying to stick his tongue up the CFO's ass. It's skewed by using different sizes of circles. If the blue circles were all the same size it would be painfully apparent to the advertiser's target group that Both Deutsche Bank and Santander have fared better than JP Morgan, but of course senior management wouldn't be pleased if someone were to say that.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 23 January 2009, 11:49.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    F***ing advert.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Nice disclaimer at the bottom...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic This Is Scary - A Thought-Provoking Bank Graphic

This Is Scary - A Thought-Provoking Bank Graphic